R block, Dart Iron Eagle or Eagle Sportsman?

In the market for a new block!

Sick of these dinky blocks splittin!

I plan on running upper 900hp with a all new twin turbo setup for my 94, twin T-4 sized turbos turbos with a 331... along with AFR 205's(box stock).

Plan on running hydraulic roller.

So anyone have any experience with the 3?

I know the SPORTSMAN just came out about a month ago, and 1+5 mains are not 4 bolt.

Which one offers best machining untouched from the crate?

Which one is less of a PITA to make hyd-roller?

I plan on sticking with a stock 4.00" bore(stock), then overbore the .030 for the stroker. Hence I dont need the 4.125" bores they offer.

And I plan on keeping stock deckheight.

Thanks a lot guys.

Pete :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

My only experience is with the R block. A buddy of mine has a keith craft 331 in his 87 LX and it is based on a R block. It's a standard deck height 302 with a .030 bore like you plan to run but he uses a solid roller cam and for the power you are talking about I would also think about that as well. He is pushing 1000hp with a procharger with the motor and about 18psi of boost. You had better be ready to spend money if you are looking for that kind of power thought. He has had to upgrade fuel systems a few times, and runs a FAST system. As far as the machining from the crate the R block is unmachined and requres a shop to finish it. He had all his stuff machined by keith craft since that is where all the parts came from.

Pete, I can't answer your question but I just heard about the sportsman block from dart and was wondering if you knew any prices on it yet? From a machining standpoint, I'm told that the dart requires less, but to the best of my knowledge all reguire modifications to run hydraulic lifters. You'll probably find a better response on a board where 900hp is more the "norm" like on turbomustangs.com. I think you can get the regualr dart block setup for 351 mains instead of the smaller 302 ones, but I think the sportsman dart block is only available with the 302 mains.

Congrats on the new job!

Thanks Paul!

These are the prices I got quoted to:

Dart Iron Eagle: $2,000, shipped 1500hp. NOT hyda roller ready, some more machine work than Sportsman.

Dart Sportsman: $1700, shipped 1200hp Already hyraulic roller ready, just need to drill and tap 2 holes in the lifter valley for the spyder.

Ford Racing R block: $1600, ton of machine work. Out of stock/never going to be in stock.

Thanks guys, Appreciate it.

So im definantly going with the
Dart SPORTSMAN
BILLET 331 internal balance assembly
AFR 205's
And TWIN T70 Turbo's

Going to order this next week.

Pete

YEa the prices are SHIPPED to your door.

Umm...

I got the quotes(2 dart ones) from

AD Performance
425-941-2267

So yea, DART SPORTSMAN it is!

Seems like it is the easiest to machine for hydr-roller, and less to machine that the others.

They supposidly told me that the average customer who buys one only spends $400 in total machining. Machining adds up QUICKLY!

Thanks guys,

Pete