R.I.P 4r70w 10/11/09

So I was driving home from Dave & Busters last night around 2 a.m. and my car started shuddering really bad. All the sudden the RPM's started to increase but I wasn't going any faster. I pulled the car over to the side of the road and hopped out and I can see white smoke coming from the vents in my hood. I could smell Mercon V.:( So I lay down and look up underneath the car and the entire underside is covered in it. Somehow it managed to cover my entire rear bumper and rear of the trunk as well. I didn't get a real good look with it being dark and the car being so low. Anybody have any ideas or input as to wtf happened ?:shrug: I guess at this point I'm just going to have to get it towed to the dealership I work at and see what went wrong.:nonono: Ive found several used ones on Craigslist just in case. Luckily for me the 5th was my one year anniversary of starting at the dealership so I got an anniversary bonus on the downside its pretty much gone now thanks to this.:mad: On a side note it was exactly one year ago today that my crank pulley separated on me.

• Sponsors (?)

Car has 78k on it. Haven't bottomed it out in awhile thank god or else my headers and prochamber would be upset with me. My grandpa who has been a mechanic his whole life pretty much thinks that I may have had a U/J go bad and that it vibrated enough to brake my tailshaft on the trans. That or my TC shot craps. Car is going on a lift tomorrow when I get to work. We'll see what happens. Ive already got a new trans lined up for $300 just in case or a new B&M holeshot for $200. Bad thing is the B&M is a 2500 stall and that's pretty much what the stock stall is I believe.

Tailshaft is split wide open , earned myself the nickname "The Destroyer" at work now. :rolleyes: Our tranny tech is replacing it tomorrow. He said the fluid didn't smell burnt so hopefully we can just put the tailshaft on and fill it up and everything will be o.k. If not I'm in for 13.6hrs of labor and a $300 trans. :nonono: I told him to save the tailshaft so I can put it on a wood base and make it into a trophy or a lamp :D

Got my car back tonight , runs great. I shattered that tailshaft housing into like 5 pieces. I will try and post some pics of the carnage. I guess the Crown Vic police cars had the same issue since they are used in high speed chases. A tech at work told me that at such high speeds it gets a bad harmonic vibration and blows them apart so they put a limiter on them at around 119 or so. So anyone w/ a 4r70w just try and keep it under 120 and you'll be safe. The tranny tech told me to invest in a prothane tranny mount and full length SFC's ASAP. Luckily I made it out for a little over $270 so I'll be getting those within a week or two. At least I didn't need a new tranny.