Raced a vette...traction questions

jermy82

Founding Member
Feb 2, 2002
Sherman, Illinois
So a friend of mine got to take out his girlfriend's dad's ('03 I think) corvette last night. Auto, convertible...my stang is too so we thought it'd be about even...lol. Anyway, just for fun we took them out on to some roads around here that no one was or ever is on and ran them just for the hell of it. I knew I'd lose pretty bad of course, but the first run he just took off and I just sat there spinning through the entire first gear and not getting the slightest bit of traction till second. We raced from about 20mph and the stang did kinda better than I thought, but it's got me concerned with my launches. I tried taking off several more times, but even at 3/4 throttle it just roasts 'em. My tires aren't that bad...a little over 1/2 tread left. Is there anything to do to help this besides just getting drag radials? Subframes...other suspension stuff...battery relocate...? Anyway, it was fun having a vette kick the crap out of me...gives me something to work for...

• Sponsors (?)

removing the front sway bar gives you a better launch. when racing, remove air from the rear tires. WHAT TIRES DO YOU HAVE? It all depends on the brand of tire, not just the thread. besides that, you'll have to spend money on subframe connectors, lca and springs with cc/plates and all that other good stuff.

I've got BF Goodrich Comp TA's...245/45/ZR17s on it. I'll probably get DR's when these get totally used up, or get some put on the stock 16s to use just for racing if I get impatient. What are the cheapest and most effective suspension mods for the money. Oh, and by the way, yes, his g/f's dad does like him apparently. He's got a '67 Camaro too...absolutely mint, chrome everywhere you could put it...don't know too much about it but it is freakin' sweet that I don't ever think I'll get to race though.

Black96VertGT said:
i just bought a 95 vert. i have 9" fr500s with 285/35/18 on the rear, bbk uca/lca's, 2" lowering springs, thumper heads, tfs street heat intake.

will i have the same kind of trraction problems?

What kind of tire? Those lowering springs certainly wont help matters, but with a good tire (drag radial) and the control arms i think you might be ok. You'll probably just have to go do some testing to be sure.