rack and pinion replace

texmirage

Dec 28, 2007
I looked mine and it seems to be in bad shape. both arms are loose I can move my wheel when it's on the ground. plus a lot of rattling....
It's looks to be pretty straight forward. remove tie-rod ends, a couple bolts and a couple of lines.Am I missing anything???
I was searching last night and saw there is a way to bleed it after install. I didn't find tread but i'll look again tonight...
thanks in andvance..
albert

• Sponsors (?)

Just a few questions / tidbits. What arms are you referring to? ANd also, if you have wheel movement without the actual wheels moving a good place to start your diag would be the rag joint of the steering shaft. Especially if you happen to have equal length headers. Id hate to see you replace a component for no reason. Though most of our cars at the miles and age theyre at... probably wouldnt hurt...

Sorry.. probably not using the right terminology. it's the part that is between the tie rod and the rack it self. there is in and out play on both side of the rack and pinion. with that play I can move my front wheels left and right with my foot while the car is sitting still. My tie rod ends look to be in good shape but i will be replacing them when I have the rack off just cause I bought a set a year ago. I don't want to have to do it in six months ...
I'll also check out the steering shaft