Rack and pinion upgrade

demeter

Aug 6, 2006
My steering rack just recently went out on me. I'm going to replace it but the car's lowered and I'd rather upgrade the rack with a better one. I've been looking into the AGR racks because they're nicely priced. They offer the 20:1 and 15:1 quick ratio. I'm considering the 15:1 but my question is whether or not the stock power steering pump will suffice? And also is such a short ratio ok to use on a daily driver? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

My steering rack just recently went out on me. I'm going to replace it but the car's lowered and I'd rather upgrade the rack with a better one. I've been looking into the AGR racks because they're nicely priced. They offer the 20:1 and 15:1 quick ratio. I'm considering the 15:1 but my question is whether or not the stock power steering pump will suffice? And also is such a short ratio ok to use on a daily driver? Thanks!

demeter,

Did you ever try this rack or did you get a different one? I'm just looking for some reviews or information on different racks as I am in the market for one.

Thanks!

I've tried the flaming river shaft and it made things worse! The set screw that is supposed to lock the shaft to the rack let's the shaft become loose. I put the stock shaft back on and it got better. My rag joint is not damaged though.

my steering shaft doesn't need to be replaced because it's not damaged or worn out. I need a new rack and pinion which is why I was asking about it. Thanks though.

I was just wondering how do you know your power steering goes out? What happens? And is there a noise or something that I should listen for before it goes out? Reason I'm asking is because my car would make a slight winding noise when I turn slightly to the left at about 30+mph.

I couldn't get any reviews on this AGR part, so I decided to buy it and try it out for myself. I'll let everyone know how I like it in a couple weeks when I get it and install it.