Rack & Pinion Steering for a 64 1/2 Notch?

austang

Dec 25, 2003
New Zealand
Has anybody used the drop in rack and pinion steering kits that are now available for early Mustangs? I see in the Mustang Monthly magazine that there are several different brands available and I was hoping for some feedback on the best type to use, how easy they were to install and how much of an improvement they make over the original steering package? (I imagine it would be significant) Given I am located in New Zealand and would have to import the kits direrclty from the USA, it eliminates any chance of going down to the "local dealer" and checking them out prior to purchase.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

• Sponsors (?)

austang said:
Awesome,
thanks ozstang56. Have yuo installed one of the RRS kits?

I've got one of their racks but i've made up my own brackets for it to suit. (I'm using EB Falcon shock towers and suspension). It hasn't seen the road yet anyway so I can't comment on drivability just now.

Marshall (search on this forum) has one in his '66 and i've seen one installed in a '65 (at a show) - quite tidy.

We've done Flaming River, Fatman Fabrications, and Steeroids and haven't been happy with any of them yet. We just got set up as a dealer for RRS so they're next, along with Randall's. Judging by the quality of the rest of the RRS stuff there's a pretty good chance we'll like it. Expensive, but if it works well and clears everything it's worth every penny.

reenmachine said:
We've done Flaming River, Fatman Fabrications, and Steeroids and haven't been happy with any of them yet. We just got set up as a dealer for RRS so they're next, along with Randall's. Judging by the quality of the rest of the RRS stuff there's a pretty good chance we'll like it. Expensive, but if it works well and clears everything it's worth every penny.
What problems did you face? What didn't you like, installation, handling, both? What applications did you try them on? Cars years? Like with headers, PS/ Sorry for all the questions. :hail2:

geostang351 said:
What problems did you face? What didn't you like, installation, handling, both? What applications did you try them on? Cars years? Like with headers, PS/ Sorry for all the questions. :hail2:
All the ones mentioned above were on the 65-66 body. Flaming River is OK and they've done a ton of R&D since the initial kits came out. It's a manual rack though, but they'll soon have a power setup. The Fatman kit left no room for any headers whatsoever that we were able to find. He has a certain Sanderson header that he claims may fit. With Steeroids we had similar header fitment issues, but not so bad, and we found some to work. If you have an automatic and stock manifolds you're home free. There is more flex to the system than I'd like, and you must convert a manual transmission car to cable or hydraulic clutch. Their Heim joint tie rod setup, while supposedly reducing bump steer, seems kind of sketchy, and the "bolt-in" brackets needed to be welded in to be secure.

I just ordered a Randall's Rack today and have high hopes for it. Randall seemed very knowledgeable and had the answers to all of my questions, unlike the others. Most of them seemed to have designed the system around one particular car and if you have a different setup, you're SOL.

It'll be a while before the Randall kit is on the road, as the car has to go to paint and stuff, but we'll install it right away and at least be able to tell how it fits, the level of quality, etc.

austang said:
Has anybody used the drop in rack and pinion steering kits that are now available for early Mustangs? I see in the Mustang Monthly magazine that there are several different brands available and I was hoping for some feedback on the best type to use, how easy they were to install and how much of an improvement they make over the original steering package? (I imagine it would be significant) Given I am located in New Zealand and would have to import the kits direrclty from the USA, it eliminates any chance of going down to the "local dealer" and checking them out prior to purchase.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Southern Mustang in Nelson NZ had a new rack and pinion kit for sale in their shop last time I looked, I think it was a Flaming River kit. Their phone number is 03 540 3304.

you can also find them much further away from home. There is a guy from sweden that has gotten a volvo rack and pinion to work with a 66 coupe. The kit is still being worked on to sell, but he is selling it for a good price. Check it out at vikingmustang.com. It also comes with a colapsable steering column. at least the folks in europe might be interested all three of you.

I have been driving with the RRS power steering rack and their front strut/disc brake system for 2 months now.

Installed the units myself, they are a true bolt in (with a couple of extra holes and some minor modification to the lower end of the steering column.)

I'm very pleased with the ride and steering, it's like a new car.

Marshall