Radar Detector Installation

StreetStang302

Mar 31, 2005
New Jersey
Hey, I bought a Whistler Pro 58 Radar Detector a few months back, and never got around to installing it until recently. When I got it, I read the directions and everything, but they don't really tell you how to HardWire it. I do not want to install it with the cigarette lighter because I don't like how that looks, I want to be able to look at it without any of that, I just want it to be behind the dash and have a simple look to it. One of my cousins suggested installing another cigarette lighter behind the dash, but I do not want to do that. Then me and my friend were talking about running it with the Accessory wire. This how I think I am going to install it. I was just wondering if someone who knows how or has done this before to maybe give me some steps or just give me advice on how to go about doing it this way. Everyone's help is appreciated. Thanx, Jeff.

• Sponsors (?)

Did it come with a hardwire kit? Otherwise, I'm with your cousin. This works the same as hardwiring it but you dont cut wires (a cig lighter for this purpose is a fancy connector for supplying 12 volts and ground). This way you dont cut wires, etc on your detector.

You can use about any key-on 12 volts source either way. I'd still manually turn the detector on and off - I dont like having stuff like that on while cranking.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
Did it come with a hardwire kit? Otherwise, I'm with your cousin. This works the same as hardwiring it but you dont cut wires (a cig lighter for this purpose is a fancy connector for supplying 12 volts and ground). This way you dont cut wires, etc on your detector.

You can use about any key-on 12 volts source either way. I'd still manually turn the detector on and off - I dont like having stuff like that on while cranking.

Good luck.

I took everything out of the box again, there is a hardwire kit, but they are not really clear on how to install it. It is a direct connection to the fuse box. I still want it to be behind the dash hardwired, don't know how it would look like this if there is a wire going to the fuse box. Later, Jeff.

StreetStang302 said:
I took everything out of the box again, there is a hardwire kit, but they are not really clear on how to install it. It is a direct connection to the fuse box. I still want it to be behind the dash hardwired, don't know how it would look like this if there is a wire going to the fuse box. Later, Jeff.
I'm not sure I follow the issue. You're going to have the curley-Q cable going to the detector no matter what. Every single other wire can be hidden.

HISSIN50 said:
I'm not sure I follow the issue. You're going to have the curley-Q cable going to the detector no matter what. Every single other wire can be hidden.

I know that about the curly-Q cable, but if its going into the fuse box, is the wire going to go behind the dash to hook it up. There is a cover on the fuse box, so how does that work, the cover has to be left off. How are the wires hidden? I just want advice or steps on how to install it either this way or going into the accessory wire. Thanx, Jeff.

StreetStang302 said:
I know that about the curly-Q cable, but if its going into the fuse box, is the wire going to go behind the dash to hook it up. There is a cover on the fuse box, so how does that work, the cover has to be left off. How are the wires hidden? I just want advice or steps on how to install it either this way or going into the accessory wire. Thanx, Jeff.
Again, once the curley-Q is behind the dash (your choice on how you route it and make that happen, as it's dependant upon mounting location), all wires can be hidden.

You can tap into the back of the fusebox or use a fuse tap and run it sideways out of the box and out the back (behind the dash). You can also use one of the two large ignition wires under the steering column (amongst others that are closer to your mounting location).

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
Again, once the curley-Q is behind the dash (your choice on how you route it and make that happen, as it's dependant upon mounting location), all wires can be hidden.

You can tap into the back of the fusebox or use a fuse tap and run it sideways out of the box and out the back (behind the dash). You can also use one of the two large ignition wires under the steering column (amongst others that are closer to your mounting location).

Good luck.

I am probably going to mount it on the windshield just above the dash. I'll give it all a try and see how it comes out. I guess this is easier than running it with accessory wire, but just in case I were to do it that way, how would I go about that? Thanx, Jeff.

StreetStang302 said:
I am probably going to mount it on the windshield just above the dash. I'll give it all a try and see how it comes out. I guess this is easier than running it with accessory wire, but just in case I were to do it that way, how would I go about that? Thanx, Jeff.
I'm not sure what you mean about the bolded-part above.

For those following along, the cig lighter curley-Q wire supplies 12 volts and ground - a cig lighter receptable has 12 volts at its receptacle tip and the side supplies ground. So it accomplishes the same means as running a separate 12 volt and ground wire - just slightly different packaging.

Either way, you need to source power and ground. The latter is easy - a clean shiny piece of metal that's convenient. Put a ring terminal on your ground wire and run it through an existing screw or bolt.
For 12 volts, choose something convenient. The instructions indicated using the fusebox. You could do that, or use an under-column ignition wire, possibly they key-on 12 volts to the radio, etc. Your choice. I think I misunderstood your question.............

Good luck.

Yeah, lol, I read that "accessory wire" and got confused earlier.

For mine, I cut off the cig. lighter adapter, cut back the rubber from the wires, exposing the positive and the ground. I put a ring terminal on the ground and looped it around the top grounding stud of the sun shade/vanity mirror mounting piece. I then spliced the positive 12v into the positive power source for the vanity mirror light.

Simple and dirty. May have been a good idea to use a fuse in that setup, but as I mentioned, it was my first wiring attempt. A friend wired his radar (on an Accord) to that it comes on when he cranks the car. The way mine is now, it must be turned on and off manually (or it remains on even with the car off, keys out).

So depending on how you want it to be powered, consider carefully the source of power you choose. If you are going to run it into the fuse box or splice into another accessory's wire, know how that accessory reacts to the keys in the ignition, car cranked and on, etc, as it will determine how your radar operates in terms of powering on and off.

Good luck.

I meant by ACCESSORY WIRE, you know how you can turn your key to accessories, like the radio is an accessory, I could run it with one of those wires, only thing is though, when the car is off, the radar detector is off, and when the I crank the car and it starts, the radar detector is on. Thats what I meant by all of that. I think I am going to try it the way with the fuse box and see how that turns out. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanx for all the help. If I don't do it that way and I decide to run it with one of those accessories, I'll be back for more help. Thanx for now, Jeff.

sourcing power from the radio wire (or at the fuse box I suppose would work) sounds good to me. That way, as HISSIN mentioned earlier, it wouldn't be on while cranking, but would be on otherwise and you wouldn't have to turn it on or off either - it would just go on/off w/ the car.