Radiator flush products, yay or nay?

Kerpal

Aug 9, 2004
When I installed a new radiator a few months back, I thought I had got all of the old rusty water out of the cooling system, but apparently not... I drained everything to install a new water pump the other day, and noticed that the coolant was still a bit brownish.

So I flushed everything with clean water until it drained out totally clear... but looking down into my radiator I can see it's still a little grungy bit inside. :( The inside of the old water pump and thermostat housing were also pretty coated with rust, so I'm sure the coolant passages in the engine look the same.

Should I run something like Prestone Super Flush through the system to try and really clean it out? I'm sure most people's cooling systems aren't totally spotless inside, and I'm not having any cooling problems at all, but I believe in doing a job as throughly as possible.... then again, I'd also hate to dislodge a bunch of old rust in the system and have it clog my new radiator or something, so I don't know what I should do... Opinions?

If I should flush it out, is the Super Flush a good product to use? I assume this will be safe for my aluminum radiator since it doesn't say otherwise...

• Sponsors (?)

I vote yay.

Most reputable shops will ask if you prefer a chemical flush or a regular flush when you go in.. the chemical flushes I had done made the radiator look almost brand new inside, regular flushes left the fins and stuff looking dirty still.

Never ran aluminum radiators so I can't tell you whether that stuff is ok for your application. I'm sure someone else will. Good luck!

if the rad is that clogged up, maybe you should take it out and have it dipped...most rad shops should charge about $50-$70 to strip, clean, and repair any defects to any normal rad.

...possibly do the home flush, until the water comes out clean, then take the rad and have it dipped as mentioned above.

then whenever you go to fill up your coolant again, just be sure to use only distilled water as tap water will lead to more corrosion. eventually, the corrosion will eat away at any mating surface between aluminum and iron...not cool

...and buying distilled water + your coolant of choice is still cheaper than buying the premixed stuff...

The CLR thing works but you don't want to leave that stuff in there. That's where the radiator flush comes in. Use it to get the CLR and any other contaminates out of the system once it's done.

Edit: and don't put the CLR into the cooling system in powder form. Disolve it in distilled water first.

I'm trying the regular flush stuff right now... I'll see if that does anything.

I think I already have some CLR.. so if I need to I guess I can try that... how long would I want to leave it in there? :shrug:

Kerpal said:
When I installed a new radiator a few months back, I thought I had got all of the old rusty water out of the cooling system, but apparently not... I drained everything to install a new water pump the other day, and noticed that the coolant was still a bit brownish.

So I flushed everything with clean water until it drained out totally clear... but looking down into my radiator I can see it's still a little grungy bit inside. :( The inside of the waterpump and thermostat housing were also pretty coated with rust, so I'm sure the coolant passages in the engine look the same.

Should I run something like Prestone Super Flush through the system to try and really clean it out? I'm sure most people's cooling systems aren't totally spotless inside, and I'm not having any cooling problems at all, but I believe in doing a job as throughly as possible.... then again, I'd also hate to dislodge a bunch of old rust in the system and have it clog my new radiator or something, so I don't know what I should do... Opinions?

If I should flush it out, is the Super Flush a good product to use? I assume this will be safe for my aluminum radiator since it doesn't say otherwise...

When I first bought my mustang in December, I looked into the radiator w/ my father and turned out my radiator was pretty much rotted out, so went to Auto Zone and bought a bottle of Prestone Super Flush and two bottles of Prestone Anti-Freeze. Followed the directions on the Flush bottle and it got a lot of stuff out, but more still remained, but thats because my radiator was really bad. But for the purchase, the Super-Flush did an amazing job, the radiator looked horrible and had sludge all over, the Super-Flush made it look a whole lot better. I am awaiting another big paycheck so I can buy a Steeda Super-Cool Copper Performance Radiator. However, go to Auto-Zone, buy 2 bottles of Prestone Super-Flush and 2 bottles of Prestone Anti-Freeze and you'll be surprised w/ the results. Good Luck. Later, Jeff.

ive used the super flush... but when i did it i took the thermostat out so it was constantly cycling through... then i unhooked the lower hose and let it drain and hooked up the hose to the normal tap water and made sure that I flushed all of the "flush" chemicals out before adding DILSTILLED WATER and radiator fluid, and a new thermostat.