Radiator Support Install Question

rs-turbo

Founding Member
Aug 14, 2001
Orlando, Florida
Okay, I keep getting different answers on this. The previous owner of my GT tried to jack the car up by the radiator support which bent it. It doesn't effect anything, other than pushing the brake lines close together which causes them to vibrate at certain RPMs. I've talked to a few body shops and they have said it isn't worth the cost to repair, since it involves removing everything and welding a new piece on. While searching online for some front end parts (truck pulled my bumper and associated parts off when it turned a corner to sharp), I stumbled across a radiator support panel. I asked the shop about it and they said it is a bolt on piece, no welding required. But when I spoke to a few of the salvage yards that specialize in Mustangs, they again said it's welded. Now this weekend, while searching my local salvage yard for parts, I talked to the guy there and he said most of it is bolted except for for two tack welds at the top which he showed me that attach by the side fender. Said just drill the weld spot out and use a bolt here with the new panel.

So, anyone every replaced this panel before, and what is actually involved? Can I replace this panel with just bolting, or will I have to do welding, in which case I will probably end up keeping the damaged piece I have now.

• Sponsors (?)

If the rad support is just tweaked it is not worth replacing just remove the radiator and condenser and stand on the bottom of the support to move it back into position.
I hav just had a light front end collision and the bottom of the support does very little, just move it back close and gently bend the brake lines apart so they don't buzz all will be fine.
It is only welded at the top corners by the fenders but you are better off straightening what you have.

Dwayne

How much more is there to remove to just replace the entire thing? I've seen them selling for around $60 which made me think it might be cheap enough to just replace. But if it's a major PITA, maybe I will just try and bend it. I do need to try and figure out how to get the drain plug of the radiator out. Mine got brittle and snapped. I've been told by Ford that the entire radiator needs to be replaced with a new one, which includes another plastic plug. There must be some way to drill the old plug out and get a metal bolt from the hardware store. This would be easier to do with the radiator out, so both of these projects seems to be calling at the same time.

Well for a shop it is no big deal, but to do it right will require you to do some fairly major surgery.
It is not really a stress panel but I would want it welded in and painted so it will look correct.

Dwayne

If the radiator drain plug wont come out then you can take it to a radiator shop and they can either take it out for you or put a new tank on it/repair your tank. You could the try drilling/easy out method. there are lots of ways to fix that problem.