Radio Lights

normando219

Sep 4, 2010
My "brand new" 1997 Mustang GT has a weird problem with the radio light that seems to be related to the headlight switch. Sometimes the radio light is on and sometimes you cannot see the radio light but the radio still works. When I turn the headlights on and off it usually results in the radio light coming back on. I want to remove the headlight switch to see if it is corroded or something and possible replace it. Has anyone else seen this problem? Does anyone have any good advice on removing and inspecting the headlight switch?

• Sponsors (?)

What about the other Instrument Illumination lights such as AC heater control, clock, window defrost control switch, and cluster? Are they affected as well?

If so, suspect that the dimmer resister in the head light swich is bad/dirty.

While I do not know for sure, I suspect it can be cleaned. Removed the head light swich and use some electrical contact cleaner.

It is not difficult to access the head light switch. Prob the most difficult part is removing the head light swtich knob. Use a pointed tool to release the clip holding the knob on. The clip is accessed through a slit at the base of the knob.

If just the radio is affected, then likely it is a loose wire to the radio.