Raising Engine???

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by nonosstang, Dec 5, 2003.

1. nonosstang

nonosstang Founding Member

I have a '66 fastback and was wondering if it's possible to raise and inch the motor using TCP motor mounts. Is this possible? Has anyone else done this before?
  2. Labora

Labora Founding Member

Sorry can't help yah but why would you want to raise it up? If anything I would think you would want to lower it and move it further back.
  3. nonosstang

nonosstang Founding Member

I'm not sure if I want to do it yet, but I waas hoping to gain a little more ground clearance.
  4. imshaggy2000

imshaggy2000 Founding Member

If you want more ground clearance get a shallower road racing oil pan or something else, raising the engine will screw up your handling pretty bad. How far lowered do you have your car?
  5. zookeeper

zookeeper Founding Member

Right off hand, I'd say that raising the engine an inch wouldn't be too hard. If it were me (and it's not), I'd have a decent machinist make some spacers and simply bolt them betwee the mounts and block. If memory serves me, the bolts on a small block motor mount are vertical, therefore the spacer thickness would dictate the amount of engine lift. Another way would be to swap in some '65 style mounts, which had a angled piece that the mount bolted to and that whole mess bolted with a vertical bolt to the frame rail. That, too would simply need a spacer to raise the engine. My car's pretty low, and the trans pan and exhaust scrape way before the engine oil pan, so I can't imagine how low your car must be.
  6. modmach1

modmach1 Member

I have a Milodon pan on my 73 Stang and that helped a lot.