Ram Air, good or bad?

iwashmycar

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Apr 7, 2004
Columbus, Ohio
Is ram air a good idea. I know it will give a little horse power but I also heard you can easily get water logged from rain, etc.

I was thinking of doing this

What do you think?

Also, when you do that, is the filter still used? If not it sounds like a bad idea all around. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

i put on ram air and the increase is amazing especially between sixty and one hundred..my scoop takes up tthe entire passenger side lower bumber scoop..on the high way it breathes big time...just put your hand out the window at eighty..myscoopp is at least five times the size of your hand

i'd put a screen on it and then leaves and squirrels won't get in there. i doubt too much water would get in it because it would have to get through the screen and the go up hill to get very far. look at the bullitt, i would thing they would have more problems with rain than what you are looking at.

I want to see some ET's of before and after of that... I dont think it'll be all that great. Plus, if your engine shakes, you'll have to find a way to keep that inplace while your engine running so it wont be rocking around hitting things causing abunch of noise.

Screen or not.. Enough trips down a dusty road will get dirt in your engine. Even if it has to travel up hill... the dirt will go with the air. If your intake and heads are allready flowing all that they can, that piece wont give you and power gains

1105 said:
I want to see some ET's of before and after of that... I dont think it'll be all that great. Plus, if your engine shakes, you'll have to find a way to keep that inplace while your engine running so it wont be rocking around hitting things causing abunch of noise.

Screen or not.. Enough trips down a dusty road will get dirt in your engine. Even if it has to travel up hill... the dirt will go with the air. If your intake and heads are allready flowing all that they can, that piece wont give you and power gains
are you saying that you are supposed to take off the air filter? whoa. it you are supposed to go filterless, it is definately not worth it. the mach one forces cold air down into the filter box. i'm sure ford would never build a car like that that doesn't have an air filter. and i seriously doubt that anyone else would tell you it is a good idea to take out your air filter either.

but yeah, the filter would probably get dirty faster because more road dirt would get sucked up.

nmcgrawj said:
What do you guys think of using March's ram air setup to use my cobra rr svo hood as ram air like the mach 1 or similar?

Does it actually help the mach 1 that much? That website said they gained 3 tenths and 1mph in the 1/4 mile....hmmmm......

http://www.marchperf.com/pg31.html#95ramair
both setups only work with the stock air box. i don't know if the cobra air box is the same as the gt one or not.

i think they probably help a little, but i'd guess more like 2-3 hp, not 15.

The new machs have a drain in the shaker scoop for any water that makes its way in there, but some does make its way to the air filter.

I dont see dirt and debris being a big problem as long as you have a screen like that guy has and a good air filter. Hell, my CAI has my air filter deep in the fenderwell and I doesn't get much dirter than one that stays in the engine compartment.

The one on corral that I linked too still uses the filter I believe. Is the air silencer before or after the filter?

I'm gonna try this when i get a chance, I'll let you know if I feel any difference. Although it's 50 degrees out anyways. :rolleyes:

the air silencer is before the filter, attached to the fenderwell....that shouldn't even exist in your car if you're looking for more air to get into your engine...

I like the idea of ram air. What I would wonder is: Would supercharging a ram air application work? Because think of it...more air is already being forced in...by getting a blower, you're forcing insane amounts in...would you're ram air intake be a huge vacuum then? Just a thought :shrug:

hrmmm...i honestly don't know...i wouldn't think, because of the entire different placement of everything. Maybe check around on some sites...but get back to me with that answer...i'm curious

AHA! It is the same.

fcar6.jpg

Attachments

• fcar6.jpg
    fcar6.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 86