Ran fine this morning, now it hesitates

68GEETEE

5 Year Member
Nov 21, 2003
Texas, USA
'68 302 4bbl 4 speed.

Took the family to the inlaws today, approx 20 miles, engine ran great.
When we started to come home 3 hours later, the engine hesitated and missed real hard, at all speeds. It felt as if several spark plug wires werent connected, but I checked, and all were connected properly. The car has been great since I installed the distributor about a month ago, I have put over 500 miles on it since then, so I dont understand in a matter of hours why she went from running great to running like crap.

It has a Holley 600cfm , which was purchased new about a year ago.

I checked and didnt find any vacuum hose problems, nor any loose wires.

Anybody got any ideas?? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

garaged, but was outside only 3 hours while we visited. No rain, wires cant be wet. Timing is correct, I checked it again tonite to make sure. Fuel filter is new, anything else might cause this?

My guess would be ignition related. I had that happen too. Parked the car for a little while, then when I restarted, it had a terrible miss that got progressively worse while driving home. It turned out that the one year old plug wires were failing (after I replaced the rotor, distributor cap and plugs).

2nd Mustang said:
My guess would be ignition related. I had that happen too. Parked the car for a little while, then when I restarted, it had a terrible miss that got progressively worse while driving home. It turned out that the one year old plug wires were failing (after I replaced the rotor, distributor cap and plugs).

The wires are about 10 mos old, Motorcraft brand. I wonder if they could be bad this quick? Car has only been driven 1500 miles in the last year, 500 of them in the last month alone. The distributor is rebuilt from Oreilly A/P, I wonder if the cheapo points they use could be the problem? I have a set of new Motorcraft points I could install, do you think new points would make a difference? Is there a way to check points on the car?

68GEETEE said:
The wires are about 10 mos old, Motorcraft brand. I wonder if they could be bad this quick? Car has only been driven 1500 miles in the last year, 500 of them in the last month alone. The distributor is rebuilt from Oreilly A/P, I wonder if the cheapo points they use could be the problem? I have a set of new Motorcraft points I could install, do you think new points would make a difference? Is there a way to check points on the car?

Pop the cap and look at the point set,
First see if they are burnt on the point face's and then check that they
match when closed. {both faces should be flat and centered on each other}
then check the gap/dewell.
PB

Are the points a single or a dual set? If they are a dual set, you can always close one and see what happens, just to narrow down the culprit. Also, even though it was just rebuilt, if you do find out it is the points and decide to replace them, then replace the condensor too. They are cheap and should always be changed as a set to avoid another problem down the raod.

You said the fuel filter is new - do you know the flow rate/filtering size of the filter? It might be restricting flow. Also, I had a similar problem about a year ago and it turned out that the primaries in my Holley were continuosly dumping fuel, causing it to run really rough/rich.

Pakrat said:
Are the points a single or a dual set? If they are a dual set, you can always close one and see what happens, just to narrow down the culprit. Also, even though it was just rebuilt, if you do find out it is the points and decide to replace them, then replace the condensor too. They are cheap and should always be changed as a set to avoid another problem down the raod.

single points, dwell set at 29. I will check the condition of them.

69PaleHorse said:
You said the fuel filter is new - do you know the flow rate/filtering size of the filter? It might be restricting flow. Also, I had a similar problem about a year ago and it turned out that the primaries in my Holley were continuosly dumping fuel, causing it to run really rough/rich.

Its an inline filter off the shelf, have no idea what the flow rate is. What filter would be a good choice as far as brand / flow rate , etc??