Ran into a 331 stroker today

BlackVert

15 Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Bethesda, MD
I was on my way to work when I saw a black mustang ahead of me on the beltway, wingless, but with wide tires. It had the 96-98 tail lights. So I caught up to him and was following him when all of a sudden he stepped on it and it goes from pretty normal sounding to loud as hell and he flew away. I was like, Damn! Dude must have a blower or something! Before long, he slowed down and I caught up to him again. It turned out that he got off the same exit as I do and we talked at a light. It is a 95; he got rear ended and got the 96-98 tail lights because they were cheaper. He just finished installing his DSS 331 last week and he said it dynoed at 420 hp, NA. He hasn't installed the blower yet!

He works close to me so I am hoping to get together with him. Maybe he'll let me take some pics ...

:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

420rwhp is NOT easy to achieve with a 331/347. Its doable, but no very likely in a street car. Most stout 331/347's will be in the 370-380rwhp range. MOre power to him if he got 420rwhp out of it.

Jo_885o said:
yea very interesting. 420 no blower? ummm.....
that is what he said. it dynoed 420 at the rear wheels. hopefully i'll run into him again and i can try to get more info about his setup.

VibrantRedGT said:
Have him sign up on here.
i asked him if he was on stangnet. he said no, he used another forum, but i don't remember the name.

I was thinking a high comp 331 (still alot though), but then you said he's putting a blower on...hmm
Must be a good combo...I'd like to hear it

well i desktop dynoed a 331 wiht all the parts i have stashed and yet to buy, down to head airflow numbers and cam specs............it hit 450 HP at 6200 and was above 300lbft at 2000 rpm..

i know its geek benchracing but still.

420 at the back of the motor maybe... I will have to put the BS flag up here :bs:

People say oh 370 is easy with a 331... NO ITS NOT!!!! You may get more torque but its still hard to go over 1rwhp per cubic Inch... Not to mention the limiting factors of having a 94-95...

:bs: :bs: :bs:

moneypit94 said:
420 at the back of the motor maybe... I will have to put the BS flag up here :bs:

People say oh 370 is easy with a 331... NO ITS NOT!!!! You may get more torque but its still hard to go over 1rwhp per cubic Inch... Not to mention the limiting factors of having a 94-95...

:bs: :bs: :bs:
i assume you are putting up the :bs: on the guy who told me that, not me. i simply reported what he told me. in any case, i can vouch that his car was a freaking beast.

I have a 347 stroker motor that puts down 375hp/410tq and thats so amazingly high for a 347. I seriously doubt hes putting down 420 to the rear maybe to the flywheel but no way in heII the rear.

dyno347.jpg

Young I am jealous of your power numbers. I can't wait to take mine to the dyno and get some comparisons. I've been losing street races left and right because I just roast the hell out of my Yokohama AVS Sport tires every time I try to launch above about 2 grand. O and Black96vertGT, I surprise the hell out of a lot of people because besides my shorty headers, I have stock exhaust for at least another week or two. Most people start with an exhaust and cold air intake... I have stock exhaust and the stock rubber elbow thing... I kind of worked backwards hehe...

Yeah well I would not have believed that on their best day someone could get a 10 year old 302ci engine to put down 332 horse at the wheels either, but it did happen. (A tribute to the owner I'd say!) Anything is possible with a really radical cam, a nascar engine is 358ci and its puttin down roughly 500hp when its restrictor plate racing. (750-800 without a restrictor plate) I know thats not really a fair comparison in a sense, just saying that an engine that size does have that much hp in it if you want to sacrifice some streetability.

OT - Young, that trq curve is sexy as hell btw!

i think its possible with a nasry cam, good heads, higher compression and a tune.

not saying its gonna be 450 to the wheels and be truly streetable tho.

but then again, how many people have a NA 500hp car?
cause its not worth the trouble to most peeps.

My plan is this:

CHP 331 Shortblock
AFR 185
Comp XE Cam

all supporting hardware

and some serious time wiht a tweecer.

hoping for 375 rwhp when ita all said n done