Random misfire, and more. 2.3T

resol

Mar 16, 2010
Dixon, IL
Been working on my 88 T-Bird the last few weeks or so. Has the 2.3 turbo. All stock except for a blow-off valve. I have replaced plugs, wires,cap, rotor, set tps, idle and timing. I'm getting a misfire thats noticeable at idle and at cruising speed(steady speed doesn't matter how fast). I used Autolite platinum plugs, cheap wires and decent cap/rotor(brass contacts not aluminum). No obvious vacuum leaks. Checked fuel pressure. I'm getting 35 psi with KOEO, 34 psi while running with regulator hooked up, and 41 psi with hose off of regulator. What i find for spec says 35-40 while running and 30-40 with KOEO. Also have another problem that i'm not sure if its related or not. When driving and coming up to a stop sign/light and i push in the clutch and let off the gas the rpm's drop way down to around 500 or so and sounds like its almost gonna stall. Then bounces back up to to where i have the idle set(about 1000).

Also have a ticking sound while the car is running. With a stethascope it sounds loudest on the fuel regulator and fuel rail. Not sure if its just a loud injector or if something else could be causing it.

Any ideas, tips, tricks or suggestion as to what or where i should continue looking.

Sorry for the long winded post, just wanted to give as much info as possible. Thanx for any help.

• Sponsors (?)