Random question about cleaning under the hood

I just got done cleaning under the hood with water. Wrapped the battery and fuse box with a garbage bag and turned on the engine. Sprayed (more of a mist) with water, brushed, then sprayed again. Here's the issue, right after, it started to smell really funky (gassy/oil smell). Is that normal? It's a little concerning because it's the first time I started the car since replacing the intake and valve gaskets. I'm thinking it's just all the crap that came off but I'm not sure...

• Sponsors (?)

I've had problems with cleaning the engine bay every single time I've tried. Most of the time, it would develop a bit of a miss under load, but it always went away by the next morning after everything had dried out.

However, even though I never damaged anything, it scared me enough for me to stop trying. Now I just use a wet rag and get as much as I can.

I’ve been professionally detailing, reckoning, and selling cars since I was 16, and no one likes a dirty engine bay! Since I can remember we have used “Super Soap” its in a purple bottle, Soak down the engine bay in whatever grease cutter your wish, focus on the top of the motor, around the manifolds, and any other heavy grease build up areas they will be different on every car. I know its not rocket science but obviously you don’t want to spray directly in the air box or any electrical connectors or components. Turn on the high pressure and watch it melt away! Remember and kind of soap that cuts grease WILL eat your paint, so wash it off the paint immediately! I recommend doing it in a car wash, you don’t want all the junk to end up on your driveway! Wipe it down and leave the hood up for a little while you dry off the rest of the car, funny smells, misses, ticking, belt squeals, all that is normal. Smells are usually grease or soap on the manifolds and will go away, everything else should clear up after everything dries out.

I've had problems with cleaning the engine bay every single time I've tried. Most of the time, it would develop a bit of a miss under load, but it always went away by the next morning after everything had dried out.

However, even though I never damaged anything, it scared me enough for me to stop trying. Now I just use a wet rag and get as much as I can.

Yeah me too, now I just use a rag moistened with some type of cleaner and I wear a pair of gloves, that way I can get into it aggressively, all the nooks and crannies, and not skin up my knuckles.

The best thing I've learned is once you have sprayed the motor with the degreaser of your choice, and scrubbed what you need to, spray it down with a light mist 'til everything is gone, turn the car on and let it run and build up some heat, and get the leaf blower out and just blow all the water out of any cavities of any electrical connections.