random stalling

mnstanggt

Dec 7, 2009
mn
I have a 95gt aode completely stock minus exhaust, anyways car ran great till about three weeks ago the engine is randomly shutting off and is hard to restart, it stalls hot and cold, while driving or at idle, last time it did it i was going 70mph on freeway the tach dropped to zero dash lights dimmed and car was coasting, key was left in the on position car still in drive, at about 60mph the car fire back up on its own and i was able to get it home, once home i ran codes, but all that came up was a tps code.
Car is given full tuneups yearly all fluids were changed recently cap,rotor,wires,plugs,coil,fuel filter and air filter were changed in last 6months.
fuel pressure was checked all is normal there, primes with every key turn like normal so i have kinda ruled that out so far

can not figure this out plz help:(

• Sponsors (?)

Gauges dieing and lights dimming make me think electrical... Get your battery and alternator checked out, along with the cables. Alternator sounds like it could definitely be a culprit.

i will definitely try pip sensor, i have read that a couple times before but it was always associated with heat and since it stalls even when cold i thought that ruled it out, but i suppose not. thx again for all the suggestions

I agree that PIP sounds like the culprit, but I'll toss something else in. I had a similar problem in my V6 (before the Cobra conversion in my sig), where the engine would just simply die. At first, I was able to restart the car while I was still coasting; as the issue kept coming up, I had to wait longer before the car would restart. In the end, it turned out to be my CCRM; one of the relays was dropping out killing all electrical power to my engine.

I think the starter motor was still working, but the engine would never catch.

I don't need to say it, but I'm another + for the PIP advice. The EXACT problems were happening to my car, quick rebuild of the dizzy and she was good as gold. Don't forget to mark your dizzy position though, or you'll end up having to get that sorted out as well

I'd consider the PIP might be taking a poop.

x 1,000,001
I had exactly the same problem earlier this year and a new PIP cured it. The engine ran perfectly until a new problem cropped up 4 months later. The tip snapped off the rotor leaving me stranded on the roadside. Replaced the rotor and the same thing happened again one week later. Turned out the distributor shaft bearings were worn out and the shaft had a slight wobble. A new Summit Racing billet aluminium dizzy cured that and I have a nearly new PIP sensor in my old dizzy as a spare.
Moral of the story? Check the distributor shaft for wear while you're there. Like mine, your original dizzy is 14 years old so it might be wise just to replace the whole thing so you don't have the same trouble I did a few months later.

update

Just an update on my stang,
I pulled the distributor out and was gonna change just the pip but i could barely turn the shaft it almost looked bent. so i went ahead and ordered a reman for now. installed it and car fired right up actually started faster than it use to.
I have to recheck my timing, the idle was loping like i had a big cam in it.
ill update after i drive tomorrow, hoping stalling is cured

well heres the big update,
i set timing today and did some city driving and freeway, car never stalled once feels like i gained alittle power actually the headlights and dash were still really dim but ill figure those out eventually.
looks like the pip was the problem all along, thx to everyone for the help :D: