Ranger axles, ok to get from 4x4?

BlackFox5.0

Founding Member
Aug 7, 2000
Massachusetts
I got one ranger axle from a RWD ranger, and older one no idea on the year, and I am in the middle of pulling one out of a 4x4 ranger, but i notcied it has posi, can I still use the drivers side axle from it? all I have to take out the wrist pin....

• Sponsors (?)

BlackFox5.0 said:
I got one ranger axle from a RWD ranger, and older one no idea on the year, and I am in the middle of pulling one out of a 4x4 ranger, but i notcied it has posi, can I still use the drivers side axle from it? all I have to take out the wrist pin....
yup, you got it. Just get two long ranger axles (or broncoII, aerostar) Don't forget the drums, and some aerostars had an 8.8 and are longer.

i know i can use aerostar axles, but i found a ranger with no wheels on top of another car, so it's easy to get at the axle, i am just having problems getting the bolt that holds the wrist pin in out of the rear.....every 5/16" socket i try seems to round the bolt :(

BlackFox5.0 said:
i know i can use aerostar axles, but i found a ranger with no wheels on top of another car, so it's easy to get at the axle, i am just having problems getting the bolt that holds the wrist pin in out of the rear.....every 5/16" socket i try seems to round the bolt :(

First be sure to use 6 point sockets or box end wrenches. A 12 point will round that bolt for sure. Also get some good quality units. Sometimes you can use a Metric instead and that fits tigther if you start to round off the bolt.

last thing, lefty loosy, righty tighty. Basically push it down!