Ranger Axles???

Mustang Yawie

Founding Member
Jul 21, 2002
Rialto CA
OK guys im doing the five lug conversion with the ranger axles, my question is where can you get them besides used at the junk yards?? I plan on running 94-97 cobra wheels anybody have any issues with the lincoln rotors? Thanks :D

• Sponsors (?)

Well if your saying "new" than of course there is:

Ford parts: To expensive.
Common auto parts store: Good price, chinees junk axles.
Specialty shop like 4WD parts: Good parts, price a bit high.
Drivetrain.com or simular are the best for price/quality for replacement axles.
OR get the FRPP axle kit, it's cheaper than any other place is for the axles alone, and you get new drums to boot.

Stock axles are manufactured by Foote axle and gear (same as superior axle and gear), for 28 spline non-through hardend axles (case/surface hardened only on stock) they are about as good as they come. If you want better axles you could buy race axles and pay a lot more, or step up to 31 spline axles. Then I would definetly suggest Drivetrain.com or alike for the purchase of those.

Mustang Yawie said:
So stock axles from a ranger would be the best way to go? If so i guess the junkyard is where i will be going to look. I dont want to get cheap axles that wont hold up. :D

OEM Mustang 5.0 axles are reasonably tough. What a lot of people don't know is that the 5.0 Mustang 8.8" axle and the 2.3 Mustang 7.5" axle has the EXACT same Ford part number. They are the same part. Since the same company likely makes most, if not all, of Ford's axles, I'd bet the Ranger axle is the same part drilled for the 5 lug pattern.

For a driver (and occasional track blast), I'm sure they will meet your needs. And if you do break one, there are about a bizzilion parts trucks to pull another axle from.

two dr side ranger axles. also, you can snag the pass side aerostar axles, same thing.

make sure to get a 5 lug drum off a bronco 2 or a ranger, NOT an aerostar. The aerostars are the ten inch, you want a 9 inch drum. However, if you want bigger drum brakes, snag the backing plate, drum and hardware from the aerostar, and you can upgrade to ten inch drum brakes out back.

lincoln rotors are not a brake upgrade, just a 5 lug upgrade. as well, the hub on them are so big that you cannot use most new 5 lug mustang wheels such as bullits. Go with the 94/95 sn95 front swap, much better.

Mustang Yawie said:
OK guys im doing the five lug conversion with the ranger axles, my question is where can you get them besides used at the junk yards?? I plan on running 94-97 cobra wheels anybody have any issues with the lincoln rotors? Thanks :D

Go to North Race Cars. I think they are in Gladstone, MO. They specialize in Factory Five Cobra conversions but those cars use the Ranger axles too. They sell Ranger length 5 lug axles that are 30% stronger than stock for a good price. Real nice people too, I dealt with some guy named Rich and he guided me through my whole 5 lug swap over the phone and never lost patience. I think their website is www.northracecars.com good luck

Lincoln rotors will work (so I was told) with a little machining. I went to the junk yard and got the sn mustang stuff. I didnt get the rotors b/c I want to get them new. There is an article on the stangnet home page about this swap and what will work on this swap. It is under tech articles i think.