Ranger or s10/sonoma

D-BOI

Mar 26, 2009
Metro Detro
im looking to buy one of these trucks in ext cab to have as a haul around vehicle. what do you guys reccomend, please dont be biased i know this is a ford site lol. i love the ranger but also like the minitrucks from gm as well.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think it matters. They are both small trucks. If one looks better or has features you prefer, go for it.

If you want the "best truck in America," screw the Toyota offerings,. They are a day late and a dollar short. The frames are flexy and weak, the boxes are weak, the whole truck was predicated on the assumption nobody ever overloaded it. We all know that real people put more in their box than the maker ever suggested was wise. Buy something that won't cave in when you eventually do that. And that means Ford, GM, or Dodge/Ram. There's a reason they call Tacomas "Tacos." And it's not just BS or anything to do with immigration.

You'd have to be a serious fool to think a Toyota was the best option. How many Tacoma's have 200K+ miles on them? My friend's Jimmy has 225K, and the engine is running as strong as the day it rolled off the line. This fall we replaced the front diff, the rear axles, bearings, and brakes. You can bet we had a few good long discussions about whether it was worth it, and the conclusion was always "yes."

I don't think there is a functional difference between an S10 and a Ranger pickup. I'd buy a used Dakota with a V8 myself if I was in the market for a light truck. The biggest weakness of the Ford and GM offerings is the lack of a V8, IMHO, but I realize it's not an issue for most people, including myself realistically.

Everybody has a preference, but I'm not sure it's a matter of what you'd be happy with regarding brand as much as what features each comes with that you prefer. And pricing. Buy the best you can afford and forget brand because they are all good trucks.

They build Rangers near me, so a bunch of my neighbors would appreciate it if you thought a new Ranger was the best truck for you. As would I, because what makes my neighbors happy makes me happy. But it's your money and your truck.

40oz nailed it with the yoda's. They have, IMHO, dangerously weak frames. Among other things garbage about them. I'm a Ford guy through and through, but in all honestly as long as its American made I like it. My buddy had a 98 S-10 that was a nice truck. It was the base model though. If I were in the market for a small sized pick up, I'd get a Ranger with a V6 and 5-speed (not an auto guy). Also do you want 4x4? Thats also something to think about. Just off looks, I'd get the Ranger since I find the S-10's butt ass ugly. Also IIRC the Dakota's are really considered small sized, I think they call them mid size. That doesn't really matter though.

Thanx for the input guys I really apprerciate it. The ranger I'm looking at is not brand new its a 99 with 130k miles. I'm trying to get a 2wd I'm not to concerned about having it for off road use I have a 2001 xj cherokee that I can use for that. This is just going to be a good daily driver with many functional uses. Plus I've never owned a truck and I've always wanted one every American household has to have one its a workhorse

Rangers are touch little trucks dont let them fool you. My father has one that he uses for every day use for landscaping. Not only that but uses it to plow every year as well with a bed fully loaded up to the cab roof with bags of salt. That truck has also pulled WAY MORE than it was designed to without a problem. I personally want one as well just cant afford one at the moment so I'm stuck still driving the stang in the snow. S-10 are nice I personally wouldnt own one but I know many guys that have and beat the hell out of them and they hold up for a very long time. It really comes down to prefference.

The older Tacoma's are great trucks. The 22r that came in them was damn near indestructible. The newer ones aren't built like they used to be, and yes, they have serious frame issues... Toyota recalled a HUGE number of them and even replaced a number of trucks because the frames integrity was dangerously compromised.

As far as a Ranger or S-10... if you want a regular or extended cab, I'd choose the Ranger. If you wanted a 4 door, the S-10 or Sonoma offers that, as the Ranger doesn't. Either or is a capable truck. If you don't care about power, and want reliability and gas mileage, find a 5 speed 2.3L 4cyl Ranger and call it a day. I would only buy a 4.3 Chevy though, not a big fan of their 4cyl motors.

But... I would also step up to a Dakota with a V8 if it were me. Only complaint about them is the junk Chrysler transmission.

if you get an s10/sonoma stay away from the 4l60e auto trans, those things are **** and grenade easily. the #3 cylinder spark plug on th 4.3 is impossible to change with out removing the steering shaft. and also on the steering shaft is what is called a rag joint, on higher mileage trucks they become worn resulting in very sloppy unresponsive steering. on my old truck you could actually turn the wheel an inch to an inch and a half in both directions with out moving the front tires. the abs is extermely over sensitive to the point where it can be scary, i remember dirving up hill in the rain and applying thebrakes at a red light and having the abs kick on.

well the ranger i was looking at had the oil looking like a mocha lol, freakin no coolant in the radiator it was all in the crankcase. some people are just out to get you with used cars. i love the rangers though but there is just something about the s10 extreme that i like or the sonoma with the flareside bed. another thing is trucks in michigan are so darn expensive. you cant find a ranger like that for 1000 bucks no way in hell maybe 3000 you could. plus i wouldnt want a 4x4 the thing would be a gas guzzler i gota jeep for that it get like 13 miles per gallon... ouchhhh

sorry i had to picture whore my jeep lol.
12941_324328810176_809135176_971403.jpg

Id buy neither! small trucks suck! ive owned 1 ranger(2.8) and 3 s10s(2 2.8's and a 2.5) and a toyota (22r) the toyota got the best mpg(21mpg whoopty crap my mustang is alot better!) the ranger got 14mpg the s10s same deal except the 4cyl it got 20 if you babied it. Whats the point? a full size truck will last longer and be more useful and get comparable gas mileage. I had a 91 f150 300/5speed got 21mpg average mixed driving! could pull and haul whatever you needed and i NEVER had to do anything to it other than a clutch and brakes! got a 98 z71 sileverado ext cab 4x4 350 vortech/auto now and it averages 18.5mpg id take that over a 2wd little truck anyday!

well the ranger i was looking at had the oil looking like a mocha lol, freakin no coolant in the radiator it was all in the crankcase. some people are just out to get you with used cars. i love the rangers though but there is just something about the s10 extreme that i like or the sonoma with the flareside bed. another thing is trucks in michigan are so darn expensive. you cant find a ranger like that for 1000 bucks no way in hell maybe 3000 you could. plus i wouldnt want a 4x4 the thing would be a gas guzzler i gota jeep for that it get like 13 miles per gallon... ouchhhh

sorry i had to picture whore my jeep lol.
12941_324328810176_809135176_971403.jpg

I see your XJ and raise you mine. But I can knock 19mpg out of mine...:shrug:

5084190104_large.jpg