Ratech pinion setting tool

88vertgeetee

Feb 10, 2013
Ho gonna rebuild my rear myself. Saw the ratech pinion setting tool and wondering if anyone has ever used it on the 8.8. I have ford racing 4.10 gears. And a ratech rebuild kit. Is this tool good and accurate? Just seeing if anyone has used it and if they have any tips?

• Sponsors (?)

I just used it to do my FRPP 4.10s. I had a difficult time using it. The directions are straight forward, I just had a difficult time getting the same measurements twice in a row. I believe it was on my part. It is a little difficult to lie under the car, hold the tool, and hold a measuring caliper and ensure you have everything straight while you do it. I borrowed the tool from my father-n-law, who used it on his rearend. He loved the tool, but he had the rearend out of the car when he did the install, which would probably make it a lot easier.

Joe

Well I have built a rear before but the pinion bearing is done. Now if you put in ford racing gears I was told you don't have to use any shims. Is this true because I measured over and over and the only way I got a good wear pattern was to use shims. I just wanna make sure I get it right. I like to do my own work and learning is the fun part. Thanks all

Well I have built a rear before but the pinion bearing is done. Now if you put in ford racing gears I was told you don't have to use any shims. Is this true because I measured over and over and the only way I got a good wear pattern was to use shims. I just wanna make sure I get it right. I like to do my own work and learning is the fun part. Thanks all
Ok one more time....I don't give a rats azz what gears you are using in what rear end, YOU NEED SHIMS. Pinion depth as well as backlash and bearing preload adjustments WILL be required and you need shims to do it. Thats all for now.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes I understand that gearhead. I checked and added shims and got a good wear pattern. A year and a half later my pinion bearing is shot. I just wanted to see if this tool wil make a easier time and if it's accurate if it's done correctly.

Never used that tool.

I use a Set Up Bearing.
Its just a new pinion bearing that I honed out to barely slip over the pinion.
Done two rear ends this way with no problem whatsoever.
Mine has at least 20,000 miles on it already.

It works well, but I am keeping an eye out for the Ford Rotunda pinion depth tool.

Yes I understand that gearhead. I checked and added shims and got a good wear pattern. A year and a half later my pinion bearing is shot. I just wanted to see if this tool wil make a easier time and if it's accurate if it's done correctly.

I would think that the pinion bearing going bad would be to bad preload of the bearing, not the depth of the pinion gear.

Joe

Reactions: 1 users
What Joe said!

The pinion bearing does not care where your gear is set, if it has gone out, it is due to improper initial preload set-up.
As a matter of fact, the bearing might not even be out, it may have just been set up too loose.
There is a chance you might just be able to tighten it up...

For the shims, and setting up a new gear, you are supposed to use the same exact shim pack thickness that came in the rear from the factory, as a baseline. Often times that is enough, but you have to check it, and there is a chance that you will need to modify the thicknesses. At least doing the baseline thickness, you have a starting point that will be really close, compared to starting off cold, or just guessing.

I use a Set Up Bearing.
Its just a new pinion bearing that I honed out to barely slip over the pinion.

I just use an old one, known good of course, out of a rear that was only taken apart for a ratio change. I keep it in my tools, as though it was a tool (because it is now). I would never use a known bad one though. I don't suppose using a new bearing would hurt, except for the expense.

If you just need a pinion bearing because it is "loose", pull the carrier, replace the pinion bearing keeping the shim you used when you set it up and you will most likely be golden. If you want some assurance use the same brand of bearing. Chances are the tolerances are close enough that you will have the same pattern as before it became "loose". Make sure you put enough pre-load on the pinion bearings.