Progress Thread Fire Hazard GT build: On the road

You know A5, I played with the idea, but had a new Comp timing set sitting around, so we gave it a shot. The cost difference between the two sets was about $20 and the difference was amazing. Now, note, the "other" brand is fairly well known as a stock replacement. We went through the whole process again, with the timing set placed "straight up". After the whole process we ended up .5 degrees advanced.
calculator.png

Now, I rarely try to degree the camshaft and wonder how many engines I've built where it was way off. Honestly, looking back, it might explain the unimpressive torque in my Dodge. Note to self....ALWAYS degree and pay the extra to get a well known name brand.

Another issue we ran into was the cam pin. The one Ford supplied, barely protruded into the cam gear. We didn't notice it until we pulled the first timing set, but it was close enough to the end that the gear would likely spin eventually. It could be that "Johnny" got off early that day and drilled my cam at the end of his shift, but it was still a concern. Now I know that many of the centrics used to work the pumps will have a tab that inserts into the hole, but even that would not have prevented the possible slippage.

Attachments

• valve covers.png
    valve covers.png
    804.3 KB · Views: 185
  • Heads and stuff.png
    Heads and stuff.png
    864.5 KB · Views: 200
  • Sponsors (?)

#MadMike: I would gladly trade you. I had a long conversation with an old friend regarding the "sweet spot" in our lives. At one point there was no income and all the time in the world and it gradually progressed to a fairly stable income that requires all my time. Sometime in between there had to have been the point where I could afford to toy with stuff and actually had time to work on it. I'm figuring that was about 6-8 years ago. I'm not complaining with today's economy, but will continue to dream of that "sweet spot" in the future.

#Ranger Joe: Where were you when I ordered about.....oh.....3 years ago...lol. Honestly, I kind of regret buying the line install kit, but we'll see if I regret the solenoid too.

#A5Literman: Joe probably has a better set up, but my father has been buying me these custom pool ball shifter handles, so below is the picture of mine. It took some clear tubing and some small zip ties to ensure to would be just comfortable enough to use, but uncomfortable enough that it doesn't get accidentally used. The photo is a little off with the flash, but the tubing looks black in normal light.
Stick.jpg

So I did figure out how I will do my catch can set-up. I'm going to weld to 8an bungs onto the fire wall side of my valve covers and a fill bung towards the front of one of them.
IMG_20160104_114619203.jpg

So I had to check with my Dad on the conversion. I personally haven't layed with AN fittings and the conversions, so he came up with the common 3/8 NPT to 8an adapters (into the can). From there it will be 2 90 degree fittings at the valve covers and 2 90s for the inlets. Still debating about plugging the PCV valve at the back of the intake or using a turbo coupe PCV valve.
It's apparent that you don't know your symbols RD, especially when you wanna get some bodies attention.

It's one of these little dudes that dies the magic "@".
Put that one in front of a screen name, and all kinds of things start to happen after you type a few letters.

It works like this: @rdharper02

See the blue?...........means...linky.

Last edited:
You know A5, I played with the idea, but had a new Comp timing set sitting around, so we gave it a shot. The cost difference between the two sets was about $20 and the difference was amazing. Now, note, the "other" brand is fairly well known as a stock replacement. We went through the whole process again, with the timing set placed "straight up". After the whole process we ended up .5 degrees advanced.
calculator.png

Now, I rarely try to degree the camshaft and wonder how many engines I've built where it was way off. Honestly, looking back, it might explain the unimpressive torque in my Dodge. Note to self....ALWAYS degree and pay the extra to get a well known name brand.

Another issue we ran into was the cam pin. The one Ford supplied, barely protruded into the cam gear. We didn't notice it until we pulled the first timing set, but it was close enough to the end that the gear would likely spin eventually. It could be that "Johnny" got off early that day and drilled my cam at the end of his shift, but it was still a concern. Now I know that many of the centrics used to work the pumps will have a tab that inserts into the hole, but even that would not have prevented the possible slippage.
There's two dowel lengths available Rrr'd. If you have a engine parts warehouse attached to the hamlet you live in, they should be able to get you the longer dowel. Now,...if the cam truly isn't drilled properly that's another thing. The dowel is a critical element to keeping the gear properly indexed, and probably sees a lot of shear force, making it a fairly important thing to not be F'd up.

@madmike1157....does that work?
Lol......yes I have yet to get into the social media game. This is about it for my "reaching out to the word". Essentially, I continue to do dumb things in private. Hopefully my kids do the same.

I've been having problems loading some of my photos and posting. It's likely my fault, but I've tried three times to hang the previous post. My computadora was nice enough to save the above. I've got a good pic as we degreed it and a good pic of the two dowels that I'll try to hang later.

Right now I'm waiting on the " Discount Tire" shop to put new tires on my Ram. Ive had to resort to some street corner work (weve all done things were not proud of for parts) just to pay for a set of 285/70 17s. Sadly it costs almost a grand now even when I find a special. Thinking back, my first car was only $500.

Reactions: 1 user
So I have not had time to update lately. We're looking at moving to Florida, So I've been working the problems out from the truck and, even though it's mine for a couple of months, picked up a go-to-work Accord. I did get my oil pan back from the welder. I'm trying to make this build look and function like I actually planned it.
oil pan.png

I've been wanting to get a blasting cabinet for awhile, so HB received some more of my money. Only problem is that the glass seal ended up on the inside of the doggone thing. Anyway, I have more parts laying around than I'll ever need, so I practiced on an older Eddy I had laying around. She looked right, So I've blasted the Eddy RPM for the motor and sprayed it the same way.
Eddy.png

The cheap Summit polished covers received the wrinkle treatment. Not pictured but the 8an bulkheads are installed and I'm doing the garage search to find the screws for them. I checked the fridge and forgot about them after finding some good beer.
Valve covers.png

So I'm debating about masking the block off and spraying it black at this point. I'm not digging the "Iron" color it currently has on it.

Reactions: 3 users
So I have not had time to update lately. We're looking at moving to Florida, So I've been working the problems out from the truck and, even though it's mine for a couple of months, picked up a go-to-work Accord. I did get my oil pan back from the welder. I'm trying to make this build look and function like I actually planned it.
oil pan.png

I've been wanting to get a blasting cabinet for awhile, so HB received some more of my money. Only problem is that the glass seal ended up on the inside of the doggone thing. Anyway, I have more parts laying around than I'll ever need, so I practiced on an older Eddy I had laying around. She looked right, So I've blasted the Eddy RPM for the motor and sprayed it the same way.
Eddy.png

The cheap Summit polished covers received the wrinkle treatment. Not pictured but the 8an bulkheads are installed and I'm doing the garage search to find the screws for them. I checked the fridge and forgot about them after finding some good beer.
Valve covers.png

So I'm debating about masking the block off and spraying it black at this point. I'm not digging the "Iron" color it currently has on it.
Paint it....paiiiiiiint it. It looks so much better that way. I sprayed mine black as well.

Btw, I'm not surprised at good beer, I'm surprised that I had any good beer left.

Though i'm down with the black upper intake and valve covers, I've aways painted my blocks and lower intakes grey.

Black is nice, but it makes it all but impossible (especially in low light conditions) to see any oil or coolant leaks you might develope.

:nonono:

Black.....

Because it does a better job of masking oil leaks,......Because (by nature of some magic) it transfers heat better.....Because...

It's boring.

Really?

And I thought I was the one going blah-bla-bla-blah.

But just so I don't get confused with the guy with the makes some obscure point and then leaves everybody going..:shrug::scratch::doh::confused::chin......I'll elaborate.

Case in point:

" Hi, my name is John Smith.
I have an 90 Mustang LX. Or better yet,...Let's just say I have an Aeronose Mustang,...that's more common.
I live on State Street.
My Mustang has a 5.0, and a WC T-5.
It is white.
I have 5 spoke wheels.
CAI.
I've done a HCI and I'm down with OPP ( Yeah you know me).
I'm thinkin" I'm not ordinary enough,...so I'm gonna go out on a limb, and paint my engine black.
Do you guys think this is too extreme?"

Mustang Guys........
kumbaya.gif

Well, I finally figured out my picture hanging problem, so here is the latest. Valve covers still need the baffle screws to check their clearance with the rocker girdles. Injectors need to be cleaned and I have not decided if I should send them out or just do the old 9 volt battery cleaning method. I still need to pull the pan off and clearance the pick-up. After Mike's story, it's worth the time.
engine 55.png

Oh, the block is staying the Cast color. Just not enough time to strip her down and mask it off. I did find a problem, the old distributor has way too much slack. I'm debating on an MSD streetfire or billet piece. Any advice on if the $100 extra is worth it?

Appreciate the input 5liter, unfortunately I ordered the MSD billet, so wish me luck. So, thinking out loud here. I'll have a new stock fuel rail, plugs and a new motor. Now I just have to start putting down where to set the base timing, fuel pressure etc. I'm a long ways away, but it's worth a thought.

So Mike, I've bolted a couple of parts together....is it a build thread yet....lol

Reactions: 1 users
Dizzy2.png
Well, came home to one of the boxes from our good folks at Summit. I received my lift plate, solid pinion spacers, fuel filter and distributor. I have to say the MSD piece is pretty, but seems to have slack in the side-to-side about like my stock piece. Oh well, its here and going to get used. Hopefully the new pinion bearings will show up soon. I've decided to swap the new set of gears I have vice using the used set. Hopefully that means a better pattern than I was able to pull from the used set.

On another note, I have had my eye out on a Ram about my year with a Cummins. Found a guy willing to trade me, but I got a little offended when I ran down all the stuff done in the last year and he offered me 4k for mine. I realize that I will never recoupe the money in the paint, new motor, magnaflow cat, exhaust, billstein shocks, steering Coolum corrections, tires etc, but I was honestly a bit pissed when offering a truck that is in near showroom shape toward one that will need a metric crap ton of work to get it to my standard. Oh well, it's always worth looking into until the guy still wants 11k on top of your truck you've put about 8k in the last few years. Maybe I'm just getting old.

All in, I'm thinking of selling my trailer and shipping the Mustang down to Florida. Still scares the heck out of me when I forget and realize I have been ignoring the trailer and car behind me.

Reactions: 2 users
3698.jpeg
20160528_145945_001.jpg

So I've had some help lately and managed to pull the rearend, drop in a new set of gears and weld up the exhaust. Really happy with the gear pattern and the solid pinion spacer. I don't think I'll ever go crush sleave again.

Reactions: 2 users
Did have some difficulties with Summits lift plate. Seems someone welded the bracket on the wrong side.
20160527_122938.jpg

As usual with Summit, they're taking care of it. Unfortunately it will be too late.

Another accomplishment, the bell housing had the two lowers stripped and caught the better portion of the rear main leakage.
20160527_082529.jpg
Have to give my Father credit. He drilled, tapped and heli coiled all four holes.
20160528_145959.jpg

It's damn good having him around. He's been kicking my backside and making me get some done. Still trying to get to his level, but have a long ways to go. Setting up rhe 8.8 proved that. Thought we were ready to set the engine in, but yours truly couldn't find the the flywheel dowels. After a 2 hour boondoggle driving to four different stores, I found them in the old pressure plate. 20 years ago, the old man probably would have have scalped me for wasting time. Guess we've both calmed down. Anyway, motor should go in tomorrow. To all, Happy Memorial Day.

Reactions: 3 users