Re installing axels- Problem

hunterhicks

Dec 4, 2003
D/FW
Howdy all, I just replaced the bearings on the axles of my 65. It has a 3.00 "equal lock" rear end. one axle & bearing just went back with no issues. the other one is either tight at the bearing-to-axle area, or it is having problems going back into the pumpkin.

Do I just whack the crap out of it? Makes me leery with those teeth-

experience?

• Sponsors (?)

both good questions. Yes, they are in the right sides. they are dramatically different.

next, they seem to be pressed in to the right depth.

I think (and have tried) the wiggle technique.

wiggle, wiggle, push, push; should go in.

not yet.

tomorrow I'll try more of this non-intrusive way- I think it'll go in.

One interesting note:
the axle that went in will spin like it should, when in neutral.
the one that won't go in does not spin; at all. one would think that it is not in at all. odd.

Had this problem on an 8" rear with limited slip rear. It seemed like one axel just hit solid steel and would not go in. Have someone hold the other wheel from moving and turn the side you are trying to get in. It should slide right in.

You did not mention if the differential had been taken apart and then put back together.

If this has happened, and if the driver's side axle gear was not indexed to the splines of the clutch hub on the driver's side, the axle will not go back in.

Internal view of drivers's side half of Traction-Lok differential (basically same as Ford Equalok/Limited Slip differential).

Axle gear shown left of differential half:
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/7469/tractionlokgearandaxlehtv0.jpg

Axle gear installed on splined clutch hub. If the axle gear's splines are not lined up with the splines of the hub, the axle is not going in.
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/7149/tractionlokgearandaxlehna0.jpg

http://www.ultrastang.com

Another though (before turning into an ape and whacking the crap out of it) is to put a gob of colored grease on the end of the axle shaft and slide it in as far as it will go...push a couple times and then pull it out. Look for any grease transfer to see if maybe you are bottoming out or getting hung on something obvious

ultrastang clarified what I was getting at. I just wasn't sure how to explain it. THe axel is hitting the hub inside. Need to rotate it (the hub) by holding one side stationary and rotate the opposit side to line it back up and it will slide right in.

what did it need? it needed determination. Rotating the installed axle had no effect. very easy fix- I grabbed the driveshaft and the axle in question and wiggled 'em back and forth. all of a sudden it's happy.

tomorrow is the big test drive- should be great- this one fix will quash several problems I had- a noisy bearing, a leaking bearing (originally I thought I had a leaking wheel cylinder, but it turned out to be a very dead axle bearing), a vibration problem over 70mph, and a really weird left-right shimmy in the rear end when I was going under 10 mph. Yay cheap fixes!

Thanks guys- and great picts ultrastang!