Re-Seal T-5? Good or Bad Idea?

UpRise_5.0

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2002
Canada
Im putting in a used good working 1990 5.0 t-5 into my 89 5.0.

I was thinking of poping off the cover,plate by shaft,etc..

Then cleaning off the old gasket sealer that I noticed it sealing it, Then reseal it with RTV copper sealent.

Is this a good or bad idea?

• Sponsors (?)

Very bad idea unless you've done it before. Removing the upper cover involves removing the shift forks as well. To do so, the trans must be in neutral and then cross your fingers that the trans is still in neutral when you reinstall the cover. If not, you could accidentally get the trans in two different gears at the same time. Guess what happens then? BOOM. Time to rebuild a trans.... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.."

ss93cobra said:
Very bad idea unless you've done it before. Removing the upper cover involves removing the shift forks as well. To do so, the trans must be in neutral and then cross your fingers that the trans is still in neutral when you reinstall the cover. If not, you could accidentally get the trans in two different gears at the same time. Guess what happens then? BOOM. Time to rebuild a trans.... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.."

Agreed. It's not simple to remove the cover. Don't do it unless you have the video. You're talking half a day to do it right. To get to it you need to remove the shifter, the roll pin under there, the tailhousing and then the cover and removing (meticulously) the old gasket stuff and redoing it carefully, torquing everything and patterning the tailhousing bolts carefully. And of course, all the stuff from ss93cobra is true...