re use this bumper?

fivespeedsteed

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
DSCN1539-1.jpg

i rear ended someone, mainly on the driver side. you can kinda see it in that picture. its got stress cracks on the top and such.

one of the cheaper body shops said id be fine to sandthe bumper down and paint it, the others, nicer ones, say it wont be right unless i get a new bumper. the bumper itself is fine, just has stress cracks, and paint damage.

re use it? or buy aftermarket one? i cant afford a ford oem one, they are 660 dollars.

• Sponsors (?)

It can definitely be repaired.

I hate shops that tell folks everything needs to be replaced. The first shop is telling you the truth. As long as they properly sand the damage out and take the proper steps from there you'll be good to go.

Crazy thing is that your bumper is actually made of polyurethane and of all the bumper materials poly is definitely the easiest to fix.

Nick

Those other shops are F.O.S. That bumper can be fixed. My rear bumper had spider cracks both in the paint and in the urethane + a small crack at the bottom from PO damage. I stripped it down to bare surface, some of the cracks needed to be filled ( the shop will have a 2 part kit for bumper repair) and I repaired the small crack..

pics,
ry%3D400

pic with paint

ry%3D400

same was done to the front stripped down to bare surface, any cracks fixed and primed with flex primer ( I had replacement parts but they didn't fit like the stuff on the car so I didn't use them and didn't want to put work into those parts either) came out awsome and like stated already can totally be done..

ry%3D400

my side skirts had plenty of spider cracks even in the letters and some rough scrapes on the bottoms and they came out great also..

ry%3D400

Most body shop guys are little cry baby whiners!!! Fix it! It'll be fine. Here's mine that "won't be right"

Here the the before and afters (in reverse order) Bumper was painted about a thousand times. I stripped it with 80 grit, primed it with yellow (buff) primer, sealed it with Dupont White Sealer, then painted it yellow with Nason Ful-thane Urethane.

DSC04516.jpg

DSC04508.jpg

DSC04494.jpg

DSC04509.jpg

DSC04495.jpg

DSC04507.jpg

DSC04493.jpg