Real fast...O-Ring w/ Copper Gasket a must?

TheUser

Jul 25, 2003
Springfield, MO
I bought some SCE copper head gaskets and it says they recommend O-Ringing the head or block...do I have to? I didn't want to O-ring at all, so if I gotta, I'll use diff. gaskets. Will they work w/o o-ringing? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

well i'm installing the heads right now. I already have copper SCE gaskets and it says they recommend o-ringing. I am running boost, but I don't want to o-ring because I want the gasket to blow before tearing my pistons, etc up. If I absolutely do not have to O-Ring to be able to use the gaskets, I don't want to.

TheUser said:
well i'm installing the heads right now. I already have copper SCE gaskets and it says they recommend o-ringing. I am running boost, but I don't want to o-ring because I want the gasket to blow before tearing my pistons, etc up. If I absolutely do not have to O-Ring to be able to use the gaskets, I don't want to.

what are the advantages of o-ringing the block? Just makes it so you dont blow a headgasket? casue yea, i see where your coming from when you say you want the headgasket to go before the pistons. I just got my motor rebuilt and im planning on running 10lbs of boost off of a single turbo, but its not o-ringd... im sure ittl be fine though

b.j.

yep, o-ringing the block allows a little o-ring to fit in there and keep from blowing the gaskets, but if it's bad enough to blow a gasket, I need to fix it (turn down the boost, or whatever). I did go to the SCE website and checked the help and FAQ and it said they do recommend o-ringing, but it didn't say you had to. I didn't and I threw the heads on, so too late now. I'm not too worried about it...they prob. just recommend that so you don't blow their gaskets and think their gaskets are junk and i'm sure it's a good idea for some, but not me. Copper Gaskets are good enough for me :nice:

With copper gaskets you NEED to O-Ring!! that will seal the chamber pressures, if NOT and there is ANY surface not exactly flat... the compression will leak out from the gasket!! Even if you use a Hi-tack for the gasket!! Save the gaskets and use a felpro 1011 ( thickness of .039) and send the copper back!! Or O-ring for the copper gasket....!! cool??

Just me......................

Thumper

Thanks,thumper, but that is really disappointing...I've already gotten the heads on and torqued down :bang: I really want copper so I can reuse them and although I don't want them to blow-proof, I do want a nice tough gasket. I doubt I can send 'em back, so is that just $75 wasted? Where do i get a tool to o-ring the block or heads? Would it be better to o-ring the block or heads? Can you o-ring the block w/ it in the car? This is gonna set me back so far now because of time and this weekend has been awesome, but it's gonna get cold. Crap....

BRRRrrrr... yeah, COLD!! Its been in the freaking LOW 70's here!! LOL But they say it will nudge the 80s by tuesday!! well than God!! LOL

Isky made a tool to O ring the block!! Its called a " groove-matic" used to be 160.00 !! check with Isky or maybe a PAW cat. they have everything!! O-ring the block!! doing the heads is a waste of time... what happens when you get the heads trued?? need to o-ring again!! You can do it in the car... but the pissing and moaning to do it there... might as well pull the engine and take a good clean time doing it!! bummer!! but IF the hurry is still there... go to the Felpro and o ring the block later!! I have 3 sets of coppers hanging on my wall ( 2 small blocks and 1 for the BB)!! It really is hard to beat the 1011 and the 1012!! cool??

Just me.................................

Thumper
Tpr

Thumper, you know people who complain (although sarcastically) about the weather being 70's really do make me mad! It's been unseasonably warm for here the past couple days (60's & 70's when it's normally 20's-40's). Supposed to be 13 monday, so I guess I know what i'm doing tomorrow...Buying new gaskets, pulling heads and throwing the new gaskets on...hopefully I can get some and hopefully it doesn't rain. Getting cast iron heads lined up correctly isn't the easiest thing in the world, especially since they weigh nearly half as much as me probably, but I did it once, I can do it again....the arp studs prob. make it a lot easier. I was thinking about o-ringing, but I don't wanna o-ring the block and heads would kinda be a waste. Now I can start my collection of copper gaskets just like thumper :rlaugh: I'll consider it an honor :hail2:

Thanks for all of the help...really appreciate it. I would have ended up getting it back together and reading about it later.

I got mr gasket copper header gaskets as well, should i send those back before they're installed or will they be fine? If I should send those back, what should i get to replace them? Also, Fel Pro (FPP-10112) has the copper ring and FPP-10111 has the steel ring...steel ring is $1 higher, which is better, i'm guessing steel? I can't believe these are nearly the same price as my SCE copper gaskets...$30 each

I pulled it all apart when it was low 30's maybe into the 20's, but just got lucky on the first part of the reinstall. Thanks for the info, glad I can use the header gaskets. I just called pep boys about gaskets and they don't have the SCE Pro Seals i'd consider or FPP-10111 or FPP-10112...they said they have the stock gaskets...are those not stock replacement gaskets? I need some today!!!

edit: I was just looking at summit reading about the Fel-Pro's and the 10111's are for 302's 62-82, mine is a 91. In the catalog, it says 10112 (copper ring) is good for 83-93, so I guess I could get those. Are these some special gasket or are they stock replacement? Do I just get what the computer says at autozone? Will they hold up to boost?

TheUser said:
I pulled it all apart when it was low 30's maybe into the 20's, but just got lucky on the first part of the reinstall. Thanks for the info, glad I can use the header gaskets. I just called pep boys about gaskets and they don't have the SCE Pro Seals i'd consider or FPP-10111 or FPP-10112...they said they have the stock gaskets...are those not stock replacement gaskets? I need some today!!!

edit: I was just looking at summit reading about the Fel-Pro's and the 10111's are for 302's 62-82, mine is a 91. In the catalog, it says 10112 (copper ring) is good for 83-93, so I guess I could get those. Are these some special gasket or are they stock replacement? Do I just get what the computer says at autozone? Will they hold up to boost?
Bolt them on and make it happen !! cold??? hell when I was in Alaska, I had to put a heater on the tools, just to hold the suckers....
And...This color thing is rocking!! although a chevy orange really suck!!

Well....I'm back in the Garage changing the Carbs on thumper... I 've had these Holleys ( 850s) setting for over a year... finally getting off my "warm" butt and putting them on ( oh...80* today in North FL>))

Snow....Yeah... the 5.0s are a real trip on the snow!! We used to see how far we could keep it sideways accross the parking lots!! No markers for cars so they could keep the snow removed!! Well.. I'm outa here... Have fun!!

Just me..........................

Thumper
Tpr

thumper460 said:
Bolt them on and make it happen !! cold??? hell when I was in Alaska, I had to put a heater on the tools, just to hold the suckers....
And...This color thing is rocking!! although a chevy orange really suck!!

Well....I'm back in the Garage changing the Carbs on thumper... I 've had these Holleys ( 850s) setting for over a year... finally getting off my "warm" butt and putting them on ( oh...80* today in North FL>))

Snow....Yeah... the 5.0s are a real trip on the snow!! We used to see how far we could keep it sideways accross the parking lots!! No markers for cars so they could keep the snow removed!! Well.. I'm outa here... Have fun!!

Just me..........................

Thumper
Tpr
dang...still don't know if you mean wait for FPP-10112's or get stock replacements...sorry for all the questions, I just really do not want to pull these heads off many more times without at least driving it first!

edit: I don't know thumper, that copper seal seals pretty well! I'm trying to get the head off now and it ain't budgin w/ wood, crow bar nothing...I put the crow bar in one of the intake ports and I think I may have ended up making the edge around the port non-flat, but i'm not sure. Seems I don't have good luck w/ getting heads off...