Real Or Imagined

modiezim

May 23, 2012
Howdy. returning to the site after a long layoff. I'm on my7th Mustang but the first that I decided to make modifications to.
It's a new 2012. I'm in Calif. so I can't do too much to my car. I opted for very simple mods. Since Ford wants to be quick to void warranties for aftermarket products, I chose to make very basic mods with more to come as the warranty expires.
So I decided to do just the K&N air filter and GT500 exhaust.
I tossed in the K&N the other day expecting absolutely nothing noticeable and I was VERY surprised to feel it significantly punchier between 2,500 and 3,500. I prefer low end torque. I thought to myself, there is no way an air filter can make this much of a difference. But after a day of driving I am convinced it made a difference.
Today I put on my axle back mufflers and now she is flat until 4,000. rpm. Am I imaging things or can these simple changes really make a difference. I'm kinda wishing I kept the stock mufflers on now. It sounds great but I liked the kick I was getting off the line.

• Sponsors (?)

yes they "can" make a difference, however i think what you are feeling is all in your head. kind of like when you used to put new tires or handlebars on your bike growing up, it felt better immediately. if you would have added a CAI and a tune i would definitely say you can feel the difference, but with an axle back exhaust and drop in filter, i don't think so.