Realistic gains for Cobra Intake swap?

The gain is in the upper RPM.

When i put my cobra intake on, i could definitely feel the car pull harder past 3000RPM.

It still chokes off around 4500-5000 cuz of the stock heads, but i def would never want to go back to the anemic stock manifold.

BTW, i also did a 65mm Tb at the same time

• Sponsors (?)

Buy it, have the lower ported and wait til you get other mods to install it.

Do that, a 65mm tb, a nice cam and maybe some heads and you will definitely notice it

i already have a 70mm tb, stock cam, prof. ported/polished E7's, 76mm MAF, LT's, o/r x and 2 1/2 exhaust. if i get it i will port match and smooth out the runners though... but i want it to be worth the $600+ bucks plus installation hassle. 10 hp is not worth it to me for that, especially when i plan on upgrading in about a year.... i was really hopin to see a gain of over 20 to make it justified.

I would say skip on it this year. Because next year, you will want to do heads or a cam. That means you will have to just take it back off again. I doubt it would improve 20-25HP. The 93 Cobras were 240HP vs. 225 GT/LX's. they had different heads/cam and intake. I know the 93 Cobras are "underrated" but that isn't enough gain for the money without the heads and cam.

Not to split hairs, but the cobras were underrated at their 240 and the GT's were actually at 215...:nice:

Not to split hairs, but the cobras were underrated at their 240 and the GT's were actually at 215...:nice:

this thread is just making the decision tougher for me! I was under the assumption with all my other mods, my intake is a major restriction right now?am i correct? i was hoping to get some major gains over what a cobra on a stock engine claims.... am i not going to see this happen?

Im not sure, I would think you would see some sort of gain but not like 40 extra horses. Does anybody know how good a bbk ss-i intake is?? I heard the old ones where junk, dont know anything about a newer one.

Word: The new Cobra intakes are not very well done and have some problems. First off, the thermostat housing on the Chinese-made piece isn't made properly and requires the distributor be rotated a couple of teeth to clear the t-stat housing. Worse, my new intake caused a HUGE oil consumption problem. When I contacted the FRPP tech line, they said that they knew they had a problem and supplied me with a new oil baffle to install on the bottom of the lower manifold, as well as a new set of gaskets. They didn't charge me anything, but it was a major PITA to have to remove my new manifold and reinstall it. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with an Edelbrock.

Word: The new Cobra intakes are not very well done and have some problems. First off, the thermostat housing on the Chinese-made piece isn't made properly and requires the distributor be rotated a couple of teeth to clear the t-stat housing. Worse, my new intake caused a HUGE oil consumption problem. When I contacted the FRPP tech line, they said that they knew they had a problem and supplied me with a new oil baffle to install on the bottom of the lower manifold, as well as a new set of gaskets. They didn't charge me anything, but it was a major PITA to have to remove my new manifold and reinstall it. If I had it to do over again, I'd go with an Edelbrock.

are all those issues from the knockoffs? the one i'm getting will be a FRPP if i do.

All new FRPPs are chinese POS's Use an explorer with nearly identical flow values. Where is that one article where they tested all of the major intakes and the cobra/gt40/explorer had the best power band up to 5200+ RPM IIRC.

Look for an explorer intake on ebay!

All new FRPPs are chinese POS's Use an explorer with nearly identical flow values. Where is that one article where they tested all of the major intakes and the cobra/gt40/explorer had the best power band up to 5200+ RPM IIRC.

Look for an explorer intake on ebay!

yeah i agree with grey. if you're wanting something now, get an explorer. cheaper than actual "cobra" intakes. and it's more than just a 10hp increase. seriously now, only 10hp on an intake swap from a stock intake? i don't think so. you get more than 10hp with a set of shorties and an H/X pipe.

I think it depends on the condition of the car. I did get Ford to send the bigger baffle but never installed it. 2,000 miles later and I havent had to add any oil.

Definately picked up some top end power, I dont feel the sudden loss of power around 5k like I used to. Id say it pulls hard from 3k-5,500 now.

I still need to install the 70mm t/b I bought a while back, Im sure that will help as well. I plan on getting the car dynoed after that.

are all those issues from the knockoffs? the one i'm getting will be a FRPP if i do.

Just to be clear: The Cobra intake that FRPP is selling is now made in China. It is NOT the same thing as that used on the 1993 Cobra and is the one that I described having the problems with. If you can find an original Cobra intake, by all means buy it. But stay away from the current new ones sold by FRPP.

From my experience, any aftermarket intake swap on a basic bolt on stock long block is a nice "seat of the pants gain". Im not into Dyno numbers, i like seeing my gains on the time slips! What about going ahead and getting the Trick Flow Street Heat intake? You can catch those on eBay for $399 + shipping usually. Its a step above the Cobra imo.

Just to be clear: The Cobra intake that FRPP is selling is now made in China. It is NOT the same thing as that used on the 1993 Cobra and is the one that I described having the problems with. If you can find an original Cobra intake, by all means buy it. But stay away from the current new ones sold by FRPP.

One of our cars has an original Cobra intake off a wrecked on, and another has an aftermarket FRPP one (from easily 5-6+ years ago). They are different, but neither has showed any problems.

Check out ebay and the coral classifieds for good deals on intakes of all kinds. I think if you go with an explorer/gt-40 setup you will pick up some good midrange and top end...especially with your P&P heads and full exhaust. You can also find really good deals on trickflow and eddy setups on corral for about 350 bucks in great condition. Even if they are in ****ty condition. Parts wash them...then sand and paint them...they could look amazing.