Realistic life expectancy of a stroker motor on a D/D???

juiced_94gt

Mar 30, 2005
Southern California
What do these engines last?? considering it's built right with good parts, a good tune, and justa a cruising foot with the occasional stop light drag race or freeway staight??? I will use my 331 stroker EVERY day, rain or shine, i dont beat on my cars but do get on them when i have to, i have been to the track twice in 4 years, always use synthetics and well you get the picture, do these engines have what it takes to last like a stocker??? or are they just doomed from the begining?? i only hear of people with 8-15k on their stroker's...why???

• Sponsors (?)

I would understand nitrous car ..on a bad tune? lol. .. or a blown car with an average tune but unless it is making too much power for the block, a well built n/a should last us all a good long time. :) Anyone disagree?

A stroker will last quite a long time depending on how you treat it and how high you rev it.

A stock engine can go over 200k with real good care...a stroker will be less. How less is hard to tell...

A stroker will last quite a long time depending on how you treat it and how high you rev it.

A stock engine can go over 200k with real good care...a stroker will be less. How less is hard to tell...

2 questions. Why will a stroker be less miles? What do you mean by how high you rev it? Just curious as to what facts or experience you are using to support that. Thanks.

Life expectancy is hard to predict. A stroker motor will have faster piston ring wear and maybe a piston slap issue due to the shorter skirts. Other than that, the rest of the engine is unchanged. Obviously, the more you beat the engine, the shorter its life expectancy. I would say that you should at least expect 75% to 80% of the life of a stocker.

So far about 15k-20k mi. on my motor got together july of 2003 and been drivin since october of 2003. Car gets open tracked (road raced) and motors been problem free. Thast even on a stock cpu. I'm going to a custom cam very soon and a tune ..finally. THe new cam is pushing .600 lift" so I may have a valvetrain refreshment somewhere in the life of the motor but thats about it.

Life expectancy is hard to predict. A stroker motor will have faster piston ring wear and maybe a piston slap issue due to the shorter skirts. Other than that, the rest of the engine is unchanged. Obviously, the more you beat the engine, the shorter its life expectancy. I would say that you should at least expect 75% to 80% of the life of a stocker.

Because people who build strokers usually don't daily drive them.

Go 347.

I like how all these guys said it :hail2:

For NA ... I'd not give up the cubes of going 331 :Word:

:scratch: This seems kinda familiar :scratch:

Grady

Mr. George Reid says that the key to any engine is found on the bottom end, in other words, the short block. If you invested wisely here and control your lead foot (woohoo !!!), then the engine should last quite a while.

How to Build Max Performance: Ford V8s on a Budget by George Reid

2 questions. Why will a stroker be less miles? What do you mean by how high you rev it? Just curious as to what facts or experience you are using to support that. Thanks.

Sure.

The rod ratio is steeper, when going up in cubes. 302<331<347

Steeper rod ratio applies more side pressure to the cylinder walls. This increased pressure and friction will wear down the rings at a quicker rate. Very small difference though.

Now, onto the higher revving. It goes hand and hand with the higher you rev it, the more likely you have a 'racier' engine. A racier engine is not taken care of as far as going for longevity.

In other words, a daily driven stroker is not going to see the rpms/beatdown that a guy with a 'play street car' or track king is going to see. They typically do not last as long.

Also, some guys with the 347 for example get the 5.4" rod. This rod/piston combo (shorter piston/longer rod) puts the wrist pin in the oil ring land. Heat from the piston crown area pushes oil way from the wrist pin area. An engine likes oil, it doesn't like it when it is pushed away;) Again, with the oil ring land being 'cut' it will seap oil past it at a much quicker rate in mileage than a 5.315" rod/longer piston.

Just stick with a 5.315" rod and a good builder and you can get 100k if you take care of your engine:nice: