Really heavy clutch... whats wrong?

tfish

Founding Member
Jan 20, 2002
Connecticut
A friend of mine is looking to buy a mustang so we test drove a 2000 Mustang Saleen S281. The only problem with the car is that the clutch is very heavy... it goes into gears fine.. its all stock clutch and tranny...

and when i say heavy... i mean really heavy.. it takes a lot of force to put the clutch down.. my clutch is heavy but no where near like this..

Question is, does this show a major problem? or what could be the problem? why is the clutch so heavy? should he not consider buying the car because of this?

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

My 2000 GT was like that when I bought it @ 14,000 miles. The stock clutch was still in there. My buddy's 99 GT had a very soft clutch and his was stock also. He even mentioned how much heavier it was when he test drove mine. I have not had any problems with mine now and that was over 80,000 miles ago and still doin great! I would say it is just fine and buy it up! Also, considering that the saleen has a lot more horsepower than a stock GT, the engineers may have put a different clutch in it. If I am not mistaken, our stock clutch is good for 400 HP. Anyone else have a better idea?

You could probably use it as a bargaining tool.

Mine is not heavy at all. Try adjusting it by raising the clutch pedal and then pressing the pedal all the way down. You should hear a click. Which means it is adjusted.