really horrible gas mileage

Hey guys i was wondering if you guys could help me, my car is getting really horrible gas mileage like 16-17 MPG around town. My Mustang is a 93 with 87000 miles on it. My air filter is clean and i got new spark plugs and wires about 15,000 miles ago. I have talked to a couple mechanics who said that i should replace my O2 sensor. He also said that I should check my mass air flow sensor.
I was told that if i turn my car on and let it warm up and unplug the sensor the car should stall out and shut off if the sensor is working. Is that correct? I tried it and nothing happened the cars idle didn't even change. what gas mileage is normal for a 2.3 anyways? any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

Ya try and change the 02 sensor. Have you pulled the plugs to make shure there ok ive roached a crappy set of champions in like 5k so its an easy check anyways. And you should defanatly be getting way better milage than that, in my car driving in town every week i get 25-26 on the highway i get 30. Also does the car run ok otherwise?