Rear ABS sensor removal - any suggestions

KK6695GT

Nov 26, 2005
Indiana
In order to change gears, axle brngs, seals, etc you have to pull the rear axles out. On the SN95 cars the ABS ring on the axle hits the sensor assembly before you can get the axle pushed in enough to get the C-clips pulled on the axles. This $70.00 each 1/2" diameter piece of plastic stuck in chunk of cast iron (which will obviously rust) was not one of Fords swiftest ideas. And, you can't go straight at it with a punch because it's behind the ring. When it's rusted in, anybody have any experiences on how they actually got it out without breaking it?

One thought - I'm thinking of trying to take a 2" or so piece of metal and make a "punch" by cutting a notch in it to go around the ring so I can hammer straight at the plastic sensor "housing". It's still rusted in there though so the plastic may still break but at least that will give me a straight hit.

Another alternative I've heard of is grinding some of the plastic away that sticks out with the sensor with a dremel tool so the ring can just slide past it. The sensor is about 3/16" diameter while the plastic is about a 1/2" diameter. I've heard if you grind the plastic down on the one side to the 3/16" metal probe, you'll have enough room for the ring to slip by. Does this removal of the plastic effect how the metal sensor works? Again, $70.00 per side if I screw up.

Just looking for suggestions and what's worked for others.

• Sponsors (?)