Rear Axle problem.

rwscott01

Apr 23, 2007
Im a newb here obviously, but i have had my stang for 2 years now. i have a 94 GT convertible. My problem is i screwed up the rear end somehow. I only have 100k miles on it. Here is what happened:

The driver side brakes started making some rubbing noise, so i stopped driving it and decided i would do the brakes this previous weekend. well i was driving to my brothers house to do them and as i was going down the highway something sounded like it fell off and i immediately lost a ton of pressure in my brakes. SO i pulled off to a nearby garage and they took the tire off and the brakes were smoking hot and so they pulled them off and the whole axle rod came out. now i know there is some pin that holds it in, so did i just lose the pin, or is there more worng, i already know i will need new brake system on that wheel. I took off the axle cover on the back and i really am not sure what im doing. any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

heres what your looking at.

DSC01174.jpg

First off check to see if there is any metal chunks or clips in the housing.

what does the axle that came out look like on the end?????

Oh yeh WELCOME TO :SNSign:

there was one small shard of real thin metal i dug out of the pig. and yes thats what im looking at but much dirtier and greasy. the end of the axle looks to be fine. When i put the axle back in, i am able to turn the gears still. where is the C-clip that people are telling me about?

100_1969.jpg

100_1970.jpg

100_1975.jpg

100_1971.jpg

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a C-clip get chewed-up but it does sound like thats what happened. And I'm assuming you removed the pinion shaft? Or is it missing?

actually when i picked up my car this morning to have it towed, the axle was already out of it. It is like the axle was trying to get out, so it made my brakes get reallllly hot and really screwed them up. Im not sure about the pinion shaft...?? never really done rear-end work.

Yep. :)

Make sure you put it in right. One side on the inside is curved and the other is flat. It will only go in one way anyway.

can you guys think of anything else i might be missing? I really thought i was going to have to replace the whole rear end so i am pretty happy right now that i dont have to spend too much money.

Nope, the "pinion shaft" (I never heard it called anything else either) goes through the two outer spider gears in the differential, and is held in place by a bolt. It keeps the spider gears in line as well as prevents the axles from backing-out, which keeps the C-clips in place. Hope this helps, I don't have a pic of what it looks like.

it looks like it is still there, sit flush on the outside of the gear area right? does it run up and down ?? i think i see it there...

100_1986.jpg

Yea, its there. Looks like all you need is another c-clip. Id take the carrier out and check everything just to make sure though. Its just the 4 bolts. But make sure you remember what side everything was on or you could **** up the wear pattern of the gears.