Rear brake pad clips, need 'um?

Gone2

Feb 18, 2004
I'm talking about the 4 (2 on each) thin metal clips on the top and bottom of each brake pad on the rear brakes. They are driving me insane trying to keep them in place. If the are just the "sqealers" I'll leave them off.

I have to go get the special tool to compress the piston this morning. After an hour of trying last night, I finally came in and checked the internet about my problem. Yea for special tools on simple things like brake jobs!

• Sponsors (?)

They needed to be on.

That was THE worst brake job I've ever done. Wafer thin clips, special tools, and 4hrs., who designed these brakes? Brake jobs should be easy. The fronts took 30 minutes. My hands are killing me.

At least Autozone let me borrow the tool.

Gone2 said:
They needed to be on.

That was THE worst brake job I've ever done. Wafer thin clips, special tools, and 4hrs., who designed these brakes? Brake jobs should be easy. The fronts took 30 minutes. My hands are killing me.

At least Autozone let me borrow the tool.

Four hours.............you got off easy. The thread on my brake job( lost now)
was two pages long. I just replaced my four stock rotors and pads
to power slots and Hawk. On the fronts I stripped one of the bolts on
the caliper mounting bracket and it was hell to get off. After some great
feedback from this forum I got it off with propane (to heat it up) snow (to cool it off) a Sears damaged bolt kit (great thing :nice: ) and a pipe wrench. What a nightmare.

Then the back PITA rotors I got everthing off and put all the new stuff on only to find I could not compress the rotors. I broke my hands and got one
in them left the car on ramps and went to Autozone :D and rented the kit.

Even with the kit it was a chore.

Anyway enough complaining. Glad it is done.

Kind of scared me though how poorly design the stock calipers are.

Why is the brake job taking so long? I have changed the pads and rotors on the front and the back. Total time for pads and rotors is usually under 1(one!) hour! Even less if only the pads need replaced. If the clips keep falling off then they are wore out and should be replaced. Anyone need brakes changed in Oregon? I work cheap!

Why is the brake job taking so long? I have changed the pads and rotors on the front and the back. Total time for pads and rotors is usually under 1(one!) hour! Even less if only the pads need replaced. If the clips keep falling off then they are wore out and should be replaced. Anyone need brakes changed in Oregon? I work cheap!

Because when this post was started they didnt have modern tools.

WOW!, talk about back from the dead. I have since bought a 05' GT,
web004.jpg

sold it and now have a '07 Roush 427R.

topless2.jpg

Trying to twist in the rear calipers can be a major PITA, especially if they're frozen or will not rotate in properly. And trying to rotate the rear piston in without the right tool is an incredibly slow and tedious PITA.

Just to restate it (most of the older members here know this) you do not use a clamp to press the rear pistons in, like you do with the front. The rears must be rotated in to be properly compressed. I believe they rotate in clockwise - it's been a while since I've done my rear brakes. You have to rotate the rear pistons because of the parking brake mechanism in the caliper. Compressing the piston with a clamp instead of rotating will definitely damage the parking brake mechanism - I'm not even sure it's possible to compress them in with a c-clamp by hand.