Rear brakes locked up. Can't move!

splatteredguts

i just hate it when i blow too much, cause then i
Founding Member
Sep 26, 2001
Honolulu, HI
Hi everyone,

Having a problem with the rear brakes locking up on my '01 V6. Haven't taken too close a look yet (don't have much in the way of tools anymore or much space to work), but I just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar problem and can maybe give me some advice before I jump into anything.

Basically what happened was I was washing my car the other day, dried it off, pulled into my parking spot (outdoors) and set the parking brake. A couple of hours later, I got in and went to drive off. The car wouldn't budge. I pulled up on the brake handle again and there was more tension than usual, plus it wouldn't go up as far as it usually does. So I got out to look at the rear brakes and they are totally locked up on the rotors.

Anybody have any idea what might be happening? Could water or corrosion have gotten in somewhere and locked something up? I don't think the cable snapped because then (correct me if I'm wrong here) there wouldn't be any tension when I pull up on the handle.

If anyone can give me some advice on what to look for, I'd really appreciate it!

• Sponsors (?)