Rear Disc Brake Help!!!!!

I am changing my rear Disc Brakes and I ran into a problem. I got everything off. Went to the store and got my new rotors & pads. The problem is I cannot get the new pads on. I need to compress the piston to get them in, but, how do you compress the rear caliper piston? I tried using a C-clamp to compress the piston like I use for the front calpiers but the rears wont budge. What do I do?

• Sponsors (?)

some caliper pistons screw in and out, im not sure on that car but worth a try... if that does not work and all else fails crack the bleeder and the piston should release, you will just have to bleed the brakes.. its fairly easy to bleed just go fromthe furthest wheel from the master cylinder and work you way to the closest...

98SteedaStang said:
I am changing my rear Disc Brakes and I ran into a problem. I got everything off. Went to the store and got my new rotors & pads. The problem is I cannot get the new pads on. I need to compress the piston to get them in, but, how do you compress the rear caliper piston? I tried using a C-clamp to compress the piston like I use for the front calpiers but the rears wont budge. What do I do?

You need a special tool....looks like a cube with different "studs" on each side of the cube to fit in different makes/models rear pistons. Just use a 3/8" ratchet to turn/screw the cube and the piston will compress. Just be careful that you have enough room in the master cylinder because the fluid level will rise when you compress/screw the piston. Take some fluid out with a *clean* turkey baster or syphon if needed.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00946344000

WES

01PonyGT said:
You need a special tool....looks like a cube with different "studs" on each side of the cube to fit in different makes/models rear pistons. Just use a 3/8" ratchet to turn/screw the cube and the piston will compress. Just be careful that you have enough room in the master cylinder because the fluid level will rise when you compress/screw the piston. Take some fluid out with a *clean* turkey baster or syphon if needed.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00946344000

WES
Thank you for the link you are a life saver!