Rear Disc brake Q's

mkk50

Apr 5, 2005
I know alot of people on here have converted their foxes to rear disc brakes, and done the mod to the e-brake handle. I was wondering if it would be possible to use the e-brake handle out of a newer mustang. I looked at one recently and they looked to share the same bolt pattern.

• Sponsors (?)

The mods to the handle are so that rear disc brakes can be installed, however I am wondering why the self-adjustment mechanism is defeated in the stock handle so that a manually-adjustable cable can be used. Is it because the spring in the stock handle is too strong? Then couldn't it just be switched out or attached in a new place to provide the correct amount of tension? It seems odd to defeat an automatic adjustment and replace it with a manual one.

The emergency brake cables won't tighten up sufficently to work correctly with the self adjuster in place. The Ebrake cables had too much slack on my old Mustang with rear disks, and the Ebrake fix was the cure for that.

From what i've read, you need to mod the SN95 cable too.

I just tack welded my stock handle. Was easy. The PITA part is going under the car to adjust the cable. You have to do it a couple times as the cables stretch. What i do is unbolt the e-brake and angle it so i can go under and screw the nut in a few turns by hand, and then bolt the ebrake back up.

I had to adjust mine 3 times before they stopped stretching.

roger, sounds like a plan! From what I was looking at on the stock handle, the range of adjustment looks small, so i think that may also lead to the problems. I may experiment with keeping some sort of self-adjuster in the handle. I will let you guys know how it does, or most likely doesn't, work out. I don't want to crawl under the car to adjust ebrake cables constantly.

I just thought i would let you guys know, i finished the rear disc brake conversion, and i took my e-brake handle apart, re-hooked the spring up, and pulled the cable down and out, and hooked up the rear cables from a 95 mustang gt with the little bracket in the trans tunnel, and the e-brake works perfectly. Two clicks up will start to slow the car, and 5 will hold back first gear really well (better then the stock drums with new shoes and hardware could when pulled all the way). Once released, the wheel spins freely and the brakes do not drag.

to use the newer cables (93+ i believe) on a 92 or older stang, you would need the little bracket that goes in the trans tunnel that the cables attach to. The newer cables are almost fully sheathed, while the older ones are only about half sheathed.