Rear disk brake options......

87'GTstang

Feb 16, 2004
Ok so I have the infamous 87'-88' TC rear disk brake conversion on my stang. My question is what replacement rotors could I ask for in terms of choices or interchangeability? My bigger and more important question is to go to 5-lug with the ranger/aerostar axle conversion, what 5-lug rotors could I possibly use?

I know all about the 73mmsvo web site but it gets confusing trying to read through the masses of listings on there.

If anyone knows anything about this then please post, thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

94-98 Mustang rear axles will do the 5 lug conversion and have the right offset to match up with the brake calipers. However, Matt90Gt (http://www.svo73mm.cjb.net/) says there is no off the shelf 5 lug match for the rotors. I believe that he has said that you need to get the TC rotors drilled for the 5 lug pattern.

I am not so sure, I think that the one of the 86 Lincoln models (Town Car, or MKVII) has a 5 lug, 10.5 vented rear rotor. The only way to find out is to take your TC rotor in hand and set it side by side on the counter with a 86 Lincoln rear rotor. Compare the outside diameter, inside diameter, offset & thickness Try the Town Car rotor first, I think it may be what you are looking for. Let me know what you find out.

Any chance for the SVO rotors or are they totally different? The entire reasons i'm asking is because I have someone offering me the 95' Cobra R rims in chrome and they are the 17"x9" versions for $40 with tires. Not to mention he gave me some 94'-98' mustang v6 rims with michelins and 5/32" of tread on them - these were free. So, is it really worth the hassle you think or should I just sell off the rims and make a quick buck?

I will try some fitment at the parts stores and hopefully i'll find something out, until then please keep any suggestions comeing!

The SVO rear rotors are very different, about 11.35" in diameter. On those 17x9 wheels, if you have the whole TC rear end setup with the TC brackets and axles, then the wheels will not work. They will stick out really too far. But the Ford Motorsports disc conversion kit with the TC rotors and calipers has brackets that use the stock Fox axles. If your car had that setup then the wheels would work with 5 lug Ranger axles and redrilling the rotors.

Or you can get the www.northracecars.com brackets, basically the same as the FMS brackets and then the Ranger 5 lug axles and redrill the rotors and you would be set. The brackets cost about $150. Even figuring the new brackets, front SVO/ Lincoln rotors and used Ranger/Aerostar axles, you could easily do the hard parts conversion for $350 or so, plus the wheels & tires. Probably even less. Not too bad a deal IMO.

Good luck!

I do not have the TC rear axle, just the rear disc conversion kit with 4 lugs.

So essentially redrilling the rotors for the Tc is the only route? Also, doesn't the extra drilled holes on the rotor cause a very unstable design with the final result being with as many holes as that?

87'GTstang said:
I do not have the TC rear axle, just the rear disc conversion kit with 4 lugs.

So essentially redrilling the rotors for the Tc is the only route? Also, doesn't the extra drilled holes on the rotor cause a very unstable design with the final result being with as many holes as that?

Time to make a pilgrimage to the auto parts store with TC rear rotor in hand... :spot:

Start with the 86 Lincoln town car and then a MK VII rear rotor and follow the instructions in my previous post. A stangnetter posted a picture of a 10.5 vented rotor with a 5 lug pattern sometime ago, but he said that he did not know what it came off of.

I can tell you for sure the Mark VII and the early 80s Lincoln Continental (the 4 door Fox body version) will not work since the rear rotor is 11.35".

While redrilling may not be the "best" solution, I know that they do redrill rotors even on performance applications. I remember reading about some application, maybe it was Cobra calipers on a Miata that they used the Corvette rotors redrilled to the Miata specs? That is one reason Matt90GT just says sell the 4 lug kit and get a 5 lug kit if you don't want to redrill the rotors.

But good luck if you want to try out other rotors. If you do find one that will work, it will give some more info to the brake upgrade world.