Rear end fluid leak problem from 05+ at track today

Don't know if this is new or old news but I took the 08 out to the road course today for an event that was hosted by the local MCA chapter. Anyway, we noticed a major problem occurring with about 90% of teh new Mustangs. Seems like when under heavy driving conditions, the rear diff blows fluid out the vent drain. It seemed to be more noticeable in Shelby and Roush Mustangs and if you had your traction control button on. Just wanting to pass this info on and also see if you guys that use your Mustangs for road course or autocross (or even drag maybe) have seem this same problem.

• Sponsors (?)

Same Problem, Solution?

I have the same problem. Running a 08 GT500 with a Saleen Watts Link on the rear. After my first track day I noticed lots of diff fluid leaking or dripping off the rear diff after 10-15 laps at Laguna Seca. I took 5-10 more laps and then called it quits because of the amount of diff fluid leaking from the breather on top of the rear diff.

I took the Shelby to the dealer for further inspection and they mentions that the fluid might be too high. I had the level corrected and went back to Laguna today. After 5-10 laps I had diff fluid dripping from the read diff/axel again and called it quits.

I have the shelby in the shop again and I guess I will just have a hose and overflow/catch can installed????????

Any others with info of solutions?

-J

Does your Watts link attach to the diff cover? I am wondering if the stress load is causing seperation under load and thus the leaks.

Some Watts setups have an attachment point at the diff cover where others do not.

Does your Watts link attach to the diff cover? I am wondering if the stress load is causing seperation under load and thus the leaks.

Some Watts setups have an attachment point at the diff cover where others do not.

I inspected the diff cover and all seals are in perfect shape. You can see the trail of diff fluid from the breather. Level is fine also.

I am quite certain its coming from the Breather on the top of the Diff cover. I am reading many others with the problem but no solution other than a catch can.