Rear end leak??

ohyaa

May 27, 2004
Henderson, NV
I have been chasing a leak on each end of the rear end at the brakes. I have replaced the axle seals twice and a brake master cylinder once. It looks like brake juice not axle grease.

When I changed the axle seals, i cleaned up the axle shaft with some emory cloth.

What am I missing here?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Next time you have the axles out, have them checked at a machine shop for straightness. Had this issue on a 9" axle that had 2 bent axles (axle was bought from a junkyard). They leaked no matter what condition the seals were in up until the day they broke...

I have been chasing a leak on each end of the rear end at the brakes. I have replaced the axle seals twice and a brake master cylinder once. It looks like brake juice not axle grease.

When I changed the axle seals, i cleaned up the axle shaft with some emory cloth.

What am I missing here?:shrug:

The "wheel cylinders" are leaking. These are the small metal cylinders that push the brake shoes against the drums. You can buy new or rebuilt cylinders at your local parts house.

The "wheel cylinders" are leaking. These are the small metal cylinders that push the brake shoes against the drums. You can buy new or rebuilt cylinders at your local parts house.

I used the wrong term originally, master cylinder should have said wheel cylinder. They were new to start and I just replaced one of them again thinking that was the leak. Also all new brake lines on the rear end.