Rear-End Noise?

Discussion in '1994 - 1995 Specific Tech' started by viperos, Oct 20, 2003.

1. viperos

viperos New Member

Bellevue, WA (yes, the land where every 16 year o
    well, I was on the freeway last night, and I noticed a lot of noise comming from my rear... I do race my car, and am kinda hard on her... the noise is kinda a "whirring" noise... it isn't time to rebuild it, is it? if so, can I just replace the gears and bearings?
  2. 2L8ULUZ2

2L8ULUZ2 Will kiss Moderator ass for title Founding Member

Do you hear it all the time or just when you are de-accelerating, and has the gear ever been changed? If it has been changed and it's only when you are off the gas then there is a good chance that your pinion nut has come loose. I had to deal with that this weekend as mine had backed off. If that happens you can sometimes put more loctite on it and tighten it back down. But the right thing and what I had to do was take it apart and check the pinion bearing and then replace the crush sleeve. The right amount of pre-load on the bearing is necessary so you can't always just tighten it down. Now if you have the stock gear and it does it all the time or it just does it all the time then you probably need to replace the bearings in the carrier and also the pinion. To check the pinion nut just take the driveshaft loose and you can see if it turns by hand and if it does then that is going to be your problem. If not then it's time to take the rear apart.
  3. viperos

viperos New Member

well, it does it all the time, never had gears done (that I know about anyway) (they are 3.08s) but it it only audible at about 20+ MPH... maybe a bit higher...

-I was going to do gears anyway, so would a new set of bearing and gears solve this problem?

-my dad thought just changing the fluid back there would get rid of the noise?

-any of these ideas good?

-thnx...

-why not another hyphen :D

-
  4. David R

David R New Member

Mine does the same thing. When we took it in for a tranny fluid change, they told us that it was the tires making the "road noise". I then got new rims/tires and I can still hear it. I havn't checked into it since then, even though I can still hear it. It might not be as loud now, if anything.
  5. viperos

viperos New Member

so, you think I should just change my fluid, and go from there? like I said, in about another 2-6 month (money permitting) I'm going to get a set of 3.55 for her... just to have a little more pick up on the freeway... I like to catch up to run-away cars fast :D
  6. David R

David R New Member

it may be a good idea. i think that i might get a second opinion since i do not think that it has been changed. i kinda though about waiting till i can get some 3:73's and do it all at once
  7. The Hitman

The Hitman Founding Member

Hell I've got a set of 3.55's with less than 10K on them in great shape (no visual blimishes and not warped or anything) that I'd give away for cheap...
  8. viperos

viperos New Member

well, changed the fluid, apparently, (guessing by the pitch black color of the fluid, it's never been changed... :mad: stupid suberbian car owners!) anyway, went on a 400+ miles road trip to Westport this weekend, took the stang, and the whirring noise is still there... can't figure this one out... any ideas guys?
  9. Joes95GT

Joes95GT New Member

As soon as I read your first post, I thought pinion bearing. Could also be an axle or wheel bearing too. If it doesn't affect driveability, just wait until you get an aftermarket ring and pinion set up, and get a deluxe rebuild kit that comes with all new bearings.

Joe
  10. Peel Away

Peel Away New Member

I have the same problem right now, but mine is because of my gears. Luckily, the guy that did them for me is going to fix it up, free of charge. Ahh the little things in life that make your smile
  11. rod_351

rod_351 Founding Member

whta about it making a whinning noise only when your going around right hand curves. Thats the only time mine makes noise
  12. viperos

viperos New Member

well, my shocks/struts/springs squeak when I go over a bump or a speedbump or things like that... but I don't think that is related...
  13. StangJonGT

StangJonGT Founding Member

No, that is not related. I believe that is your bushings.

Jon
  14. viperos

viperos New Member

my shocks are the bushings, or the whirring rear noise is the bushings?
  15. 94Gtstock-newclutch

94Gtstock-newclutch Founding Member

probably the pinion or carrier bearing or both. have them replaced when you get the gears done.
  16. viperos

viperos New Member

but basically, no harm in racing this season w/o doing gears first? no harm will come to my car if I ignore it, right?
  17. StangJonGT

StangJonGT Founding Member

The noise you hear as the suspension compresses is likely your bushings. Your rear end noise is unrelated to your suspension and/or your bushings.

Jon