Rear end squeaks like hell!!

StratGT

Founding Member
Oct 11, 2001
Mississauga, Canada
I installed no-name inexpensive LCAs and UCAs along with bullit springs and sub frame connectors. The sub frames are welded and made a difference in handling.

Now the rear end squeaks like hell and the quad shocks are leaking like crazy. After removing the spare tire, jack and rear seat the ass end squeaks even more. I can't stand it. The stock bolts could not be used with these LCA/ UCA and I used the supplied bolts with the kit.

What do you think it is. I knew I should have bought the Steeda kit.

Any thoughts on a Panhard bar and removing the UCAs. WOuld that be good for drag racing.

• Sponsors (?)

StratGT said:
I installed no-name inexpensive LCAs and UCAs along with bullit springs and sub frame connectors. The sub frames are welded and made a difference in handling.

Now the rear end squeaks like hell and the quad shocks are leaking like crazy. After removing the spare tire, jack and rear seat the ass end squeaks even more. I can't stand it. The stock bolts could not be used with these LCA/ UCA and I used the supplied bolts with the kit.

What do you think it is. I knew I should have bought the Steeda kit.

Any thoughts on a Panhard bar and removing the UCAs. WOuld that be good for drag racing.

Did these "no-name inexpensive" control arms come with urethane bushings? If so, did you grease them during assembly? Did the arms come with zerk fittings for attaching a grease gun?

ProCharger GT said:
you get what you pay for

could be that the bushings are binding when the rear suspension flexes - what kind of material is the bushings made out of?

and yes, you should have purchased either steeda/maximum motorsports/griggs. those are the only 3 i will ever reccomend for suspension.

I know the quote you get what you pay for, please don't remind me. The bushings are made out of Urethane (sp) and the factory bolts were too large so I used the supplied bolts with the kit (they were smaller).

I'm thinking of losening the UCAs and see if it still squeaks.

Any advice on the leaky quad shocks. Do you think those could be the culprid.

tomustang said:
Only with recommended LCA's. If the installation instructions don't say, don't take'em off.

There were no instructions with this kit. The UCAs didn't look any better than stock but the lowers didn't compare with the Steeda steel ones. I was shaking the rear of the car just 10 minutes ago and it sounds like the LCAs. In fact, someone mentioned "axle bind" and I think thats exactly what it is. What surprised my was when the Bullit springs and controls arms were installed, the quad shocks leaked the same day and haven't stopped. With all the Mustangs I owned, I never had a quad shock problem. Is it really a coincedence that they are leaking now that the control arms are on.

StratGT said:
There were no instructions with this kit. The UCAs didn't look any better than stock but the lowers didn't compare with the Steeda steel ones. I was shaking the rear of the car just 10 minutes ago and it sounds like the LCAs. In fact, someone mentioned "axle bind" and I think thats exactly what it is. What surprised my was when the Bullit springs and controls arms were installed, the quad shocks leaked the same day and haven't stopped. With all the Mustangs I owned, I never had a quad shock problem. Is it really a coincedence that they are leaking now that the control arms are on.
Probably not a conincidence.

I'm dying to know what brand these items are too, BTW. Are they stamped like from the factory, as opposed to tubular like Steeda's?

ProCharger GT said:
Probably not a conincidence.

I'm dying to know what brand these items are too, BTW. Are they stamped like from the factory, as opposed to tubular like Steeda's?

The brand of UCA and LCA's and the subframe connectors came from Blue Oval Industries. I ordered them online from them based on the ad I saw in MM&FF. When I called Blue Oval, they said theirs are the same as BBK and Mac. When the local Mustang shop installed them he said they are not the same as the BBK or MAC because those use stock factory bolts as oppossed to the skinny bolts given with the kit. When holding them next to the basic Steeda Steel arms the quality difference was heavily in favour of the Steeda units. That's when I realised that I may have made a mistake. The guy who installed them has been modifing Stangs since the early eighties. He told me to sell them on ebay and take the loss if necessary. He said my sub frame connectors are not too bad but they were very generic.

The good thing about this board is we can inform others regarding parts that work and don't work. I'll cut my losses and sell them for the Steeda units.

StratGT said:
The brand of UCA and LCA's and the subframe connectors came from Blue Oval Industries. I ordered them online from them based on the ad I saw in MM&FF. When I called Blue Oval, they said theirs are the same as BBK and Mac. When the local Mustang shop installed them he said they are not the same as the BBK or MAC because those use stock factory bolts as oppossed to the skinny bolts given with the kit. When holding them next to the basic Steeda Steel arms the quality difference was heavily in favour of the Steeda units. That's when I realised that I may have made a mistake. The guy who installed them has been modifing Stangs since the early eighties. He told me to sell them on ebay and take the loss if necessary. He said my sub frame connectors are not too bad but they were very generic.

The good thing about this board is we can inform others regarding parts that work and don't work. I'll cut my losses and sell them for the Steeda units.
Good idea. Good luck to you, I hope it works out for the best. Hell, try and return them to blue oval industries, use ebay as a last resort.