Rear gas tank and front tilt hood pics..

• Sponsors (?)

Ford has been using the side fill on Mustangs since 1974. Chevy didn't start using it on the Camaro till 1982. Either Ford was ahead of the game or Chevy was slacking. What year did the gov't mandate the location of the filler?

I've been talking to some people and i may be wrong, the Gov may not have mandated it, they may have all done it just because it's plain old more safe.

As for the fuel cell comment, that all depends on the cell you use. If you have a Fuel Safe, they're designed to withstand a crash. It's not the tank location that's the issue, it's the fill neck being where it is. Most fuel cells don't have a neck, they just have a hole.

I don't see why its not safe. The tank is in the same place where its been the filler just changed from the outside hump to the inside part. the impact of the crash will still be the same. If its going to happen its gonna happen. The fuel cell might take some inpact but it will have its limits also, personally , I think its more dangerous, but thats my opinion.if i pass through an echeck why wouldn't it pass its a 90, caprese had them way after maybe the year 96 like someone else said.Thanks for your opinions guys. I don't mind your comments. I will be posting some new pictures maybe this months Im actually going to start painting my engine bay and door jams soon.Thanks

It's not the placement of the tank, it's the placement of the neck. If you were to get rear ended by a truck, chances are very good that the neck will be stressed so much that i'll crack or break in the collision and leak gas.

Either way, i'm just pointing it out. I'm sure you've heard it all before and i hope for your sake that i'm wrong :nice:

It's not the placement of the tank, it's the placement of the neck. If you were to get rear ended by a truck, chances are very good that the neck will be stressed so much that i'll crack or break in the collision and leak gas.

Either way, i'm just pointing it out. I'm sure you've heard it all before and i hope for your sake that i'm wrong :nice:

Yes I understand what you are telling me, But if you notice all the rear gas cars have the filler neck coming out from the center of the tank pointing towards the rear,so if your car gets hit from the rear it will break from the neck because its on the actual tank theres maybe 3-10 inches of neck on there or maybe even more. Mine has about 4 inches going across with a hose that curves to the rear. I tested my tank put the hose on and i noticed that i have a lot of flexibility on my fiiler neck. I could almost bent my fiiler neck back over the tank with a little kink on my hose. So if a car actually hits my tank im not really woried about my filler neeck, Most likely my tank will leak from other places before I have a break on my neck..LOL. Thanks for pointing that out anyways. You know what I noticed that the way I have it doesn't leak at all compared to the stock that it leaked through the seal.....

That's original and some great fabricating....BUT, have you ever gassed up with a rear fill like that? Total PITA.

Yes its a PITA, But im used to it I had a Cadillac 75 with the rear filler gas and i kind of like it i don't have to worry where my gas door is at... I lway mess it up when im at the pump . My girl has a tacoma, on the left mustangs on the right,Always feel dumb when I have to rearange the car..

Havent updated my thread, Couldn't decide where to post this update.This one has more of all my 3 major treads so I will continue on this. So After a few months of Deciding what color, and type of paint i wanted.I finally got it. I went with Basecoat/Clearcoat,I got my Dupont black chromabase code k with chromapremier clear coat. Today I received my reducer and activator I needed. I got my sealer two weeks ago.. Now my car is almost ready for paint. Need to finish taking of my other door and some block sanding here and there!!LOL. I will post some pictures tomorrow of my stang well how it looks right now. It looks like it was left at the JY no doors,trunk,engine,fenders,top,hood, interior, nothing, I'm replacing almost everything, hopefully I can put it back together..after its painted...LOL........:D

UPDATES!!!!!!!

Heres more pictures i took today. you can see i had to reprimer my bay i had tiny scratches from were the back hooks were that i forgot to mold into my bay. i primered my trunk doors and jams.need to final sand so i can seal and paint so i can put it together to paint outside.There are some shots of my shaved gas door.someone wanted to see how it looked forgot who. Here it is. Like my wheel covers..LOL Was lazy to take my wheels off so I used some trash bags. They wrap around the whole tire...NICE!!!Well I'll post some more updates
Picture145.jpg

Picture146.jpg

Picture144.jpg

Picture143.jpg

Picture140.jpg

Picture150.jpg

Picture148.jpg

Attachments

• Picture145.jpg
    Picture145.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Picture146.jpg