rear hatch latch on the SVO

BELL

Founding Member
Feb 21, 2002
California
So I got to pull the spare out of the trunk last night and when I was all done I was wrapping everything up, go to shut the hatch and its like the latch refuses to latch. I can do it by hand and verify it will latch but not when its closed. The release button up front throws the latch like its supposed to. everything seems to line up. I'm stumped....

• Sponsors (?)

on the hatch there is susposed to be a bushing type thing. the part that sticks out on the car where the latch goes around has a plastic/rubber thing wrapped around it. mine did the same thing. one day i went to shut the trunk and it didnt. i eventually found it lying by the spare tire and i jst put it back on with a zip tie. before i found it i rolled up paper around (ghetto) and the latch fit real snug and never gave out. but i believe that the bushing that wraps around the post has gone missing.

A whole new post/washer/bushing assembly from BlottoZone is about $10. THe sad part is that the BlottoZone part allows for replacement of the bushing; the big washer on the Ford part is not removable. I found that out after building about 6 new bushings for my old striker posts. :rolleyes: The stock posts were rebuildable on my '89 GT also, but not the '84.