Rear Main Nightmare....

So guys I recently picked up an 89 LX in the midst of my motor build for my GT. I got a screamin deal and the owner had no idea idea what he had.....well long story short the rear main was leaking a ton, no biggie I went to napa and got a teflon or PTFE rear main, installed it in a couple hours and it still was pouring oil out...so last night back at it again i tried a regular old rubber seal. well my dad noticed a few gouges on the hub of the crank that you could feel with your fingers. so he got out some emery cloth and tried to clean them up some. put it all back together and after the car idled a bit and took it for a short cruise i noticed a few drops on the ground under the car, mind you its not leaking anywhere as much as it was but still....really deppressing. my question is this, has anyone had any luck with the crankshaft repair kit? or should i attempt to clean those little scratches more with the emery cloth? Im losing my patience because im running out of options here im always limited on time to work on it.

• Sponsors (?)

I've had a lot of luck with crank shaft repair sleeves. They do work but be very carefully installing them. They bend really easy.

I use only Felpro rear main seals and the repair sleeve. Are you installing it with the spring facing towards the crank? Are you installing it dry or with some oil around the perimiter. When you put the flywheel back on did you put some thread sealer on the bolts.

Reactions: 1 user
Mine leaks a few drops a day since new rebuild, I noticed almost a groove on crank just beyond where seal rides. I've never heard of these sleeves you speak of, Haynes manual says its irreparable if it leaks at rear seal due to damage to hub??
I should've asked you guys!
Crank must be out to install sleeve??

Mine leaks a few drops a day since new rebuild, I noticed almost a groove on crank just beyond where seal rides. I've never heard of these sleeves you speak of, Haynes manual says its irreparable if it leaks at rear seal due to damage to hub??
I should've asked you guys!
Crank must be out to install sleeve??

no crank is still in. it is a sleeve that you install over the crank end using the install tool

Reactions: 1 user
no crank is still in. it is a sleeve that you install over the crank end using the install tool

Well probably won't be long until stock T5/(fms king cobra) clutch fails somewhere.
I'll have to look into this at that time, is this available at local auto parts stores?
I've yet to have it dyno tuned but it made 301hp 336tq with trick flow #1 camshaft and typhoon intake manifold.
It is making 330 I'd guess with the RPM 2, FTI camshaft, pro m 80.
Judging from seat of pants feel, maybe more. With 75 shot (most I've tried thus far, 175 will be max and not sure about that much through one fogger nozzle before throttle body??) it is a blast to drive and will spin cheap tires well into 4th if it stays straight. Time for real suspension upgrades!

Well probably won't be long until stock T5/(fms king cobra) clutch fails somewhere.
I'll have to look into this at that time, is this available at local auto parts stores?
I've yet to have it dyno tuned but it made 301hp 336tq with trick flow #1 camshaft and typhoon intake manifold.
It is making 330 I'd guess with the RPM 2, FTI camshaft, pro m 80.
Judging from seat of pants feel, maybe more. With 75 shot (most I've tried thus far, 175 will be max and not sure about that much through one fogger nozzle before throttle body??) it is a blast to drive and will spin cheap tires well into 4th if it stays straight. Time for real suspension upgrades!

I ordered mine from Summit. It's a thin SS sleeve that fits over the end of the crank- Felpro brand.