rear removal w/ drum brakes write up

blackstangt

May 31, 2004
ny
I just removed my rear axle housing, and despite a lack of info from people on here:bang: , i got a chance to spend some time on it, and realized that you don't have to mess w/ the brakes too much to take out the rear end. Main goal was not to have to do brake fluid bleeding/removal.

1. Remove the bolt that connects the brake lines' bracket to the center part of the rear.
2. Bend the bracket back a little that holds the pass side brake line to the housing and pull the brake line out.
3. Take out other small bolt brackets. I believe they are 5/16.
4. Remove the drums from the drum assembly.
5. Remove the drum assembly by removing the 4 bolts connecting each of them to the axle housing. Should be 9/16 on each side.
6. Bang and pry on the assembly to remove from housing (more rust=more difficult, I used a 10' bar, which took little force to separate them.)
7. Make sure the brake lines are not going to get caught on the axle housing in any way and you can drop it out without ever really screwing with the brakes/brake fluid.

note: I didn't want to bend my lines, so i left the car jacked up w/ my old springs holding up the brake assembly.:nice:

• Sponsors (?)