Rear seat belt won't pull out?

Discussion in '2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech' started by fess40, Apr 15, 2007.

1. fess40

Founding Member

Tried to buckle the kids in today ('89 vert) and the rear belt wouldn't pull out more than 4-5 inches, no where near enough to make it over the booster seat. They ride with me probable 2-3 times a week and I've never had the problem before. Anyone know how to make it work smoothly again? And if it needs replaced, what would it take to upgrade to the '90+ 3point design?

2. vegeta_nc

vegeta_nc New Member

Heh, I had the same problem with my wife's Mazda. I took it to a shop and they found an empty candy wrapper inside had caused the problem. I was shocked that something like a thin plasic wrapper could stop a seat belt from functioning. I think that little less then $1 candy bar turned into a $65+ repair. I can't remember exactly how much it costed, it was over a year ago.

3. 86crazyhorse

86crazyhorse New Member

it is a spring in the tensioner that can be fixed witha good rubber band.or pull a good one from the junk yard.

4. fess40

Founding Member

If I've got to pull one from a yard, anyone know how hard it would be to put the 90-93 3-point style in?

5. 86crazyhorse

86crazyhorse New Member

i belive you only need the seat belt and the mounting parts if you have a coupe.if your car is a hatchback then i think you need the rear interior panles.