Rear Seat Delete: Teh Write-up

• Sponsors (?)

propellerhead said:
I was even thinking of quick release fasteners instead of bolts, just so I can pop it open and use it for storage.

there are THOUSANDS of different ways to go about doing this. However some take more time to plan out. The main reason why i did it the way i did is so i can have access to my spare tire which i havent had for the last 2 years since ive had the car

Nice write up! I'm planning on doing the same thing but I want to try to find something a little lighter weight that is still strong enough to hold subs in the back board and amps on the seat part. I also want to find charcoal greay leather to cover it so it will match the rest of the interior. I build my car for performance but it is still a daily driver for now so I have to try to find the right stuff to meet my goals. Any suggestions on what other materal can be used.

1fast03pony said:
What other kind of material can be used for this? Im very interested in doing this but I want something super light. The material used to make signs out of is a great idea.

like sheet metal u mean?

heres a suggestion, how good are you with fiberglass? :D (im being serious)

anything that can hold regidity... glassing the back would work, pieces of lexan, sheet aluminum, cement... hell, you could make a frame out of wooden dowels or use 2-3 wooden slats per area and just cover it with paper.... you can be as creative as you want to.

ABS would work too, very firm and fairly light in the 1/16" inch sizes. posterboard, cardboard.... glass.....rubber sheeting, cut number2 foam, styrofoam, ice..... anything can be used... this really isnt that hard of a concept. anuything that can maintain its shape would be fine. and if you never use it as a shelf then al you need is a little velcro to hold it in place. use bricks if you want.... tile, baseboard and lenolium, hardwood flooring, sheetrock, roofing tiles, chain link fence...

any of the above will work for materials. how much do yuo want to spend, how much weight do you care to save, how much time are you willing to spend to make it work. both NH and i did it for audio reasons... i needed an amp rack, he needed a place for his subs. so we used MDF as its normal in audio use. you are only limited in what you can find, what tools you have to cut and shape with, and what thought you are willing to put into the project.

Torinalth

:rolleyes:
Torinalth said:
anything that can hold regidity... glassing the back would work, pieces of lexan, sheet aluminum, cement... hell, you could make a frame out of wooden dowels or use 2-3 wooden slats per area and just cover it with paper.... you can be as creative as you want to.

ABS would work too, very firm and fairly light in the 1/16" inch sizes. posterboard, cardboard.... glass.....rubber sheeting, cut number2 foam, styrofoam, ice..... anything can be used... this really isnt that hard of a concept. anuything that can maintain its shape would be fine. and if you never use it as a shelf then al you need is a little velcro to hold it in place. use bricks if you want.... tile, baseboard and lenolium, hardwood flooring, sheetrock, roofing tiles, chain link fence...

any of the above will work for materials. how much do yuo want to spend, how much weight do you care to save, how much time are you willing to spend to make it work. both NH and i did it for audio reasons... i needed an amp rack, he needed a place for his subs. so we used MDF as its normal in audio use. you are only limited in what you can find, what tools you have to cut and shape with, and what thought you are willing to put into the project.

Torinalth
oh oh oh ... i'm doing the chain link :D

DCjuggalo said:
did u lose any wait after u added all that mdf?

i cant tell you an exact measurement, but i can guess that i prob lost only about 5-10 lbs max...if you plan on doing this without subs it will be more...i myself have 2 12" subs in it so that weighs it down slightly

the weight reduction was not what i was goign for however, if its something you are seeking, just use a lighter material instead of a 1/2" MDF application

ppl stay on topic please, this is a write up! :)