Rear Set-ups

Slim351c

May 6, 2011
Wilm, DE.
Ok so I am thinking about ordering a Ford Racing 3.73 gear set and thinkingabout getting the "Ford Racing Traction-LOK Limited slip differential" (28 spline is stock for my 98 GT right?) Anyway I want to make sure my rear will stand up to every day driving.. especialyl since I am not making tons of power.. I am aiming for at least 400hp in the future.. Let me know what u think!

• Sponsors (?)

Is the car a 5 speed or auto?

Banging gears and dumping the clutch on a sticky tire is what breaks rear ends, not horsepower. Ive seen a 230rwhp mustang break stock axles. And then Ive seen 550rwhp mustangs run on stock axles all day long.

If it was me, I would go ahead and get you the 31 spline traction lok, and order you some 31 spline axles from summit or jeg's. The summit or jeg's brand axles will do just fine.

it is a stock 5 speed... Also is it possible to swap out the 5th gear out of a t-45 with a smaller ratio gear? example (dont know what the ratio is but...) take out the stock .75 and replace it with a .65... know what im saying?

or will any 6 speed manual transmissions bolt up to my 4.6? :shrug:

yes, a tremec t56 will bolt up to your 4.6 with the t56's bellhousing and then youll need a new driveshaft. If you want lower gear ratios in your 5 speed, you might as well go for a 6 speed. And i agree with the above statement, buy the 31 spline axles.

Gear swap....

On a side-bar....I just had the stock gears in Shelly's 98 swapped for a set of 3.90's. I now have the issue of speedo recalibration. The shop that installed the gears swear the speedo is 100% electronic...the online speed shops say it takes a mechanical gear. Btw...stronger is always better. You can't afford to have a weak link in the drivetrain.