Rear Shocks

sen2two

I've been lubing and pulling it all morning
Jul 18, 2013
So my rear shocks are dead. The passenger side has been murdered. Sooooo...... Time to upgrade.

I'm weighing the benefit vs. cost on A rear coilover kit vs. just replacing with some shocks. I don't know if I'll be keeping the car much longer, so I don't want to drop a lot of dough that I will not be getting back.

I could spend 400-500 on just the rear coilovers, or replace all 4 shocks for under 180 shipped with KYB. The front shocks feel ok, I don't really NEED to replace them. But it wouldn't hurt.

I would prefer to keep this under 300, any suggestions.

• Sponsors (?)

KYB are cheap factory replacements. I personally don't like the coilover setups that put all the weight on the shock perch. It wasn't designed for that. Unless you are doing a ton of road racing I would stick with the conventional rear shock and spring setup.

This is a neat setup from Wolfe craft. It allows you to use the smaller spring in the stock location.

http://www.wolferacecraft.com/detail.aspx?ID=809

Reactions: 1 user
If you bolt coilover conversions into the stock locations on the rear of a Fox, you'll lose tire clearance. No good. I'd just buy some Strange 10-way shocks and struts.

Reactions: 2 users
I always used the Tokico adjustables, because they were like the best and stuff, and that's what everyone uses. That's what I have on my own car. One time we were doing suspension on a friend's car and he decided at the last minute that he wanted to go ahead and change the shocks and struts. We drove down to Summit and all they had was the KYB adjustables. Dubious, but with few choices we bought them. They are better than my Tokicos in every way. They ride better, have a wider range of adjustment, and the adjustment knobs are in a better location. Not to mention they were almost half the price. I'm a believer now.

Kurt

I would also pass on the coil overs for a street car. That's more of a race car thing. Strange shocks are more for drag racing. If that's what you are using the car for, then great. Everyone I know that bought Strange struts complained that they would frequently develop leaks when driven on the street a lot, and had to be rebuilt on a regular basis.

Kurt

If you bolt coilover conversions into the stock locations on the rear of a Fox, you'll lose tire clearance. No good. I'd just buy some Strange 10-way shocks and struts.
yup which is why i never bought them... i cant give up any room in my wheel tubs. maybe one day the car will be mini tubbed

Reactions: 1 user
yup which is why i never bought them... i cant give up any room in my wheel tubs. maybe one day the car will be mini tubbed

Which is why I mentioned the Wolfecraft racing piece- you need to to some welding and cutting, but it allows you tire clearance and te adjustability of a coilover for spring height, and also doesn't put all that weight and stress on the lower shock bracket.

If they were still available I'd say go with the Tokico Blues- used them on many a fox body with great succcess.